4

chapter 4 - the second storey window

"there's a thin line between love and hate,

i think you have crossed it,"

[edited - 11.12.18]

k e n z i e

i couldn't believe it. in shock, i looked between lauren and johnny, my mouth falling open. how could i not have noticed the resemblance? no wonder i thought lauren looked familiar. i should have backtracked immediately and left after giving them the cookies. now i probably had zero chance of survival, since i heard that johnny had been searching for the 'wild, babaric girl' who slapped him the whole day. and i sent myself up to be slaughtered. smart.

i looked up, feeling johnny's piercing glare shooting daggers at me. if looks could kill, i would have been buried ten feet down the ground.

laughing nervously, i started to back away, "i see that you guys are busy, i'll probably come back," never, i added silently in my heart.

"oh, no, no, no, you can't leave yet," the familiar grin was back in place, "i haven't been properly introduced to you yet," he greeted me in a snarky voice. now, that's asking to be slapped again. narrowing my eyes, i forced a weak smile.

"hi to you too, orlando," replied sarcastically as lauren looked between us both in confusion.

"well, um-' lauren started nervously, eyeing the tension between us in trepidation before continuing, 'i see you guys know each other,"

i scoffed and johnny snorted. sure, a 5 minute conversation which ended in me slapping him was a well acquaintance indeed.

"know each other? for one thing, i didn't do anything to her but she slapped me in the hallways today," johnny pointed at me and i mustered the dirtiest glare i could, throwing it at him. that arrogant voice was driving me bonkers. unconsciously, i could feel my temper rising again.

"oh please, who was the guy who tried to choke me because i asked for directions?" i crossed my arms while lauren looked between us.

"john, i told you not to be so rash," lauren said in disappointment as she shook her head and i grinned, unable to resist the temptation to stick my tongue out at him.

"sorry, sis," he mumbled apologetically, ignoring me as he rubbed the nape of his neck nervously, "well, don't scold me once you get back, come on, take a seat," he held lauren by the shoulders, pushing her towards the dusty sofa. i almost melted on the spot, looking at the loving sibling relationship they had. almost. i was still pretty annoyed at johnny.

"forgiven, and don't give me this face, it doesn't work," lauren winked at me playfully, reminding me of brynn once again. they said the exact same things. she smirked as she pushed johnny's hands off and walked towards the door, "you guys, need to solve your lover problems. i'm just gonna leave you guys here to kiss-i mean, reconcile, bye"

the last thing i heard was the click of the door before lauren disappeared from my view. great. if i didn't die just now, i was hundred percent gonna die now.

"lovers? lauren what are you talking about?" i rolled my eyes as i heard her laugh. she was a clone of brynn, i swear. slowly, i walked towards the door and away from johnny, who looked like he could kill me any second. i laughed nervously before starting to ramble again, "well, if you want to kill me or anything, you should do it fast in case lauren comes in to pulverize you,"

no response. thanks for ignoring me. i wrinkled my nose.

"just so you know, i don't regret slapping you, you know?" i continued babbling aimlessly, shuddering as the air around me dropped a few more degrees. i turned the doorknob hurriedly, the faster i get out, the better. it wouldn't budge. now i understood what lauren was talking about. damn her.

johnny just continued staring, while i struggled with the door.

'you do know that you can't open it once she locked it right?' johnny suddenly said and i froze. his voices sounded well, deeper than it did today in the hallways. it did sound quite nice. i blushed as what i was thinking about fully registered.

"well, give me the key so that i can go back home," i grumbled, holding my hand out to him but he barely glanced at it before shrugging nonchalantly and turning away.

"i don't have it," he said, sounding bored while steam practically exploded from my ears. i was ready to pounce on him and tear him into pieces when i suddenly saw the red mark on his cheek. ah. its still there. feeling a little guilty, i settled with pursing my lips as i walked over to the window, ignoring his stare.

perfect, there was a distance of around two meters between his window and mine. if i jump, i might be able to make it.

"what are you doing?" he asked, looking at me weirdly as i scrambled up his window still.

"climbing over to my house, duh?" i answered, opening his window and poking my head out, slowly stretching my leg over.

"ah, i hope you fall, have a nice time," johnny waved me off as i perched on the window sill, feeling slightly dizzy. i didn't ever know that the second level was this high. breathing heavily, i dangled my legs down as i stretched my hand out to grab onto my window.

i couldn't reach it. i stretched a little further, feeling my butt almost leave johnny's window. calming down my rapidly beating heart, i stared at my window moodily. if only maddie was still in my room, she could lend me a hand.

"short hands, are you sure you won't fall off instead?" the irritating voice blared out behind me again.

"if i fall you'll have to pay for my medical fees anyways, since it is your window, goodbye! i'm jumping now!" i shrugged, smiling when i received no response.

thump!

"ouch! that damned grass is prickly!"

(1018)

[do not be a ghost reader! vote, comment and share!]