19

chapter 19 - single pringle

"my hands can ruin your mascara,

my words can tear down your ego,"

[edited - 22.12.18]

k e n z i e

i smirked as i watched brynn and mark (the boy from the chess club) shamelessly flirt with each other in front if me during biology. brynn was going full girly mode as she twirled her hair around her finger while mark blushed at everything she said. cute. he would definitely treat brynn well. i propped my face up on my chin as i sighed. when was i ever going to find my mr. perfect?

"you should totally ask that poor guy out," i elbowed brynn when i finally got the chance to talk to her after her intense flirting session.

"i know right," brynn stared at mark dreamily as he organized his notes, "even his organising looks sexy,"

i widened my eyes, hoping that mark did not catch what brynn just said.

"what? that's the truth," she shrugged, while i sighed. typical brynn.

"go on, quick," i gave her a push and winked as the bell rang above us, "go get your man, gurl,"

i smiled as i stood at the side of the class, watching brynn sashay up to the poor guy. i was probably going to remain single forever. i shuddered at the thought of eighty year old me knitting beside the fire, surrounded by cats. i needed a boyfriend.

i grinned as brynn walked up to me with mark in tow, looking overwhelmed.

"easy peasy, lemon squeeze," brynn gave me the thumbs up.

"let's go," i tugged on her.

soon, we reached our lunch table in the cafeteria. plopping down, i immediately reached for lauren's fries habitually when i noticed who was sitting beside her. william franklyn miller. she has had the longest crush on him for like, forever. i froze when i realised what they were doing. kissing. feeling a bit embarrassed for disturbing them, i pulled my hand back and snatched some of annie's fries instead.

"hey! take lauren's," annie slapped my hand away, "she's too occupied, anyways,"

grinning, i sneaked her entire plate of fries away from her, popping some into my mouth contentedly.

"annie," i mumbled, causing her to look up, "are you dating?" i asked, as she frowned at me weirdly.

"no, why?" she retorted, looking quizzically at me. i guess i must have seemed a little random sprouting the question out of nowhere.

"cause we are the only single pringles here left," i laughed, leaning against annie as she smiled.

suddenly, a nasally voice interrupted my daydreams.

'that's because you don't have the body to attract boys, kenzie dear," nadia smirked to herself, faking a sympathetic expression while i wrinkled my nose at her.

"really? you seem to have a lot of experience. i need you to teach me..." i smiled like a saint, before continuing, "how to inject botox everywhere," annie guffawed while i tried to hide my grin at nadia's face that was rapidly turning red.

"keep your comments to yourself," nadia snarled in my face as i turned around, facing her squarely.

"i don't have any space left on me," i batted my eyelashes innocently, "maybe you have some in all those plastic,"

"shut up!" nadia was shaking in anger now, while i grinned in triumph.

"do i look like i care? i'm sorry but no," i snapped back lazily, taking out my phone.

"i am warning you, you- what are you doing?" nadia was in the middle of threatening me when she found out that i wasn't paying attention to her at all.

"checking the calendar. nope, looks like tomorrow my schedule is packed. my apologies, darling, but i do not have time to care about what you think of me. unlike somewhere who spends her day buying makeup and snogging a million people, i actually have stuff to do," i growled, waving my phone in her face.

"why, you little-" nadia started spluttering, trying to curse me in the worst way possible as i turned back to my true darling - lauren's fries, when annie intervened. finally. i don't know how long i can hold on to my temper before i lost it and boxed the daylights out of this stupid barbie doll here.

"now, stop it guys." annie's cool voice interrupted my thoughts.

"i totally agree with kenzie, i really think you should get out of here, nadia, because you are obviously not welcomed," annie said icily while nadia's expression turned to one of horror.

"what? no-you can't just kick me out," nadia gasped wildly, her eyes narrowing while annie just waved her aside.

"i can do whatever i please, thank you so much, this is america. and i'm sure everyone here agrees with me," annie looked at us for confirmation and i nodded eagerly.

"just because you had johnny for a second, it doesn't mean that you can just act all high and almighty. furthermore, both of you just broke up, so there's no reason at all for you to appear here. you know johnny, he's really stupid and make mistakes sometimes. and you are the biggest mistake that he has ever made," annie continued, her eyes flashing furiously.

at her words, johnny gave a low growl in protest but annie ignored him, not even bothering to look at him as she plowed on. to my surprise, johnny didn't say anything at all. in fact, he completely shut up, looking bored. i stifled my laughter. bossy annie was my favorite.

"so get away now before kenzie breaks your nose, i'm sure the plastic layer inside wouldn't appreciate it,'"annie said coolly and i rubbed my hands together to prove her point. i would be more than willing to do just that.

nadia looked between our table and my hands, finally deciding that her nose was more precious. she stood up, flicking her hair over her shoulders as she stalked away.

"this. is not over," she pointed at me and i rolled my eyes. this is all she can say? i'm disappointed.

"i'm so scared, darling, save me!"

(1017)

[do not be a ghost reader! vote, comment and share!]