23

chapter 23 - cornered

"there's always a different side to a story,"

[edited - 22.12.18]

k e n z i e

"Lauren, hide me, I think he might be going to this school," I whispered as I peeked out behind her, swathed in a humongous scarf. I didn't even know why, but recently I have been doing quite a lot of hiding and creeping around school.

"Okay, mission in place, all clear, move forward," Lauren took two steps forward, before turning to me and saluting. I rolled my eyes at her comical representation of a spy.

"Just so you know, we aren't spies, our only goal is to get me to class safely without any hindrance,"

"Right, all clear, move forward," At this, Brynn burst into laughter, before I shushed her immediately.

"Kenzie? Can I talk to you?" I froze as as familiar voice whispered behind me. How in the world did he manage to recognize me even after all the effort I made into dressing up like a hobo? Sighing, I turned around.

"I don't think so, mister, now back off," Brynn was assuming her boxing stance once again as Hayden looked down at her fists. Ah, I must have left out the fact that Hayden had a black belt in Karate.

I winced. I had been trying to avoid this confrontation for the whole morning, but bad luck seemed to follow me everywhere.

Hayden looked inquiringly at me.

"No, I don't think we have much to talk about," I pursed my lips.

"But...I love you, isn't that enough?" I scoffed at his words, but Annie beat me to replying him.

"Now, I don't know what's your deal, but love is a pretty strong word, so do not use it so loosely. It might hurt the girls you associate with," Annie pushed up her reading spectacles as she told Hayden off seriously.

"I-"

"Let's go," Lauren tugged on my hands, "I apologize for setting both of you up on this blind date, so can you leave Kenzie alone?"

"But-"

"I can't welcome you back with open arms, Hayden, no matter what good reason you have. You know you hurt me pretty badly," I sighed.

"I know, but-" I was momentarily distracted from the rest of his speech when a pair of strong arms wrapped around my shoulders. I looked up in surprise, flushing when I stared into a pair of unfathomable glittering green eyes.

"Hey darling," Johnny teased, oblivious to the tension crackling in the air, "Aren't you coming for first period calculus?"

I was instantly reminded of the incident, "Oh, shut up,"

"What's happening here?" the ends of Johnny's mouth quirked up into a smile, "Kenzie dearie got an admirer? Amazing,"

Johnny leaned closer to Hayden, unaware of the daggers that were shot his way, "Dude, your standards are low,"

I widened my eyes and elbowed Johnny fiercely, "You are the one who has low standards,"

"Darling? Dearie?" Hayden looked at me, his eyes flashing, "What does that mean, Kenzie? I need an explanation,"

"What does that mean? It's for us to know, and for you to wonder," Johnny's face turned serious as his arm tightened around me, creating waves down my shoulder, "And she does not owe you any kind of explanation,"

"Now come on, we don't want to be late, do we?" Johnny grinned down at me before tugging me along in the general direction of our class.

  a n n i e

I tried to stifle my smile as I watched Johnny pull a confused Kenzie away. He didn't even have calculus today, and he was just trying to use it to show his possessiveness. He was growing up, I thought fondly, I haven't seen him act like this since a million years.

I was snapped back to reality when I noticed Hayden walking away, a troubled expression on his face. Right. I had to clear things up between him and Kenzie. I didn't know why, but since young, I always made it my mission to resolve all misunderstandings, and I could smell a huge misunderstanding in this.

"Sorry!" I ran after Hayden, panting when I finally caught up with him, "You walk rather fast,"

"Isn't it Miss Wikipedia?" a playful smile rose up his lips, distracting me, "What do you want?"

"Stop calling me Miss Wikipedia, I only wear these spectacles for reading," I grumbled, removing them and shoving them into my pockets.  I glared at it fiercely, I could feel a burning hatred for it suddenly. 

"Well, I want to resolve things between Kenzie and you," I muttered, suddenly unsure about my plan, "Um, this is my number, a third party might see things clearer,"

I took out a pen from my pocket as I avoided his eye, grabbing his hand, before writing my digits down.

"Call me, and let's talk about it, okay?"

(798)

[do not be a ghost reader! vote, comment and share!]