«contracts»

Annie
We stood in the office room of my parents construction company, Homespace® headquarters.

Johnny's parents, my parents and our managers sat in front of us looking with a morbid expression. On the table was large stack of papers which read

"R E L A T I O N S H I P
C O N T R A C T."

Oh great.

For other teens, this concept is unfathomable, to think that a contract like this even exists! However, to us getting into a relationship for the sake of diplomacy was hardly a foreign concept.

Still, it didn't mean that I wanted to be with him. If I had the choice, I wouldn't even be next to him.

But when were we ever given a choice?

Johnny's family left to discuss the contract with him and I walked over to the dark, mahogany table my parents were seated in front of.

"Honey, we know you are a great girl, this could really benefit our company to distract the press from Caleb's.... um. Well, death." Katie says with tears brimming in her eyes.

Images of Caleb's funeral flashed through my mind. How the press nearly mobbed the graveyard we buried him in. I realised that if anything, I needed to do this for him. Not for my parents or the company I was destined to inherit, but for Caleb, so he could rest in peace. The peace that he always gave everyone.

"I have one question," I say, even though my mind is already made up.

"Why Johnny?"

Billy sighed and replied "His parents, as you know own a law firm and it could really benefit us in getting permits for construction jobs. It's killing two birds with one stone."

Of course.

Even in Caleb's passing, they use his memory as an opportunity to grow their business.

Shutting my eyes for a moment, I nodded. "Where do I sign?"

Johnny
Our managers Breanna and Chase decided to fly back with us just to brief us on our "relationship".

I wasn't sure how I felt about it. This relationship could prove useful in the future. However, Annie stayed silent ever since we signed the contract. It was no secret that she hated me, I'm not exactly a likeable person but it was better this way, less people to hurt.

"So, you guys will be pretending to date for a year and there are a few rules that you guys need to follow." Said Breanna.

Annie's head flew up from her phone and she looked at Breanne curiously.

"First things first, especially to Johnny, you are NOT allowed to date anyone else while in this relationship." Chase said giving me a stern look.

Annie scoffed loudly and leaned back on her chair, transferring her attention to her phone.

"You are not allowed to tell anyone else about this contract."

"Not like I want to even have this contract," Annie muttered to herself softly. However, the plane was too small for her sentence to go unnoticed by everyone.

With a shake of his head, Chase continued. "And lastly, you both must contribute in trying to make this relationship believable. That is; acting like a real couple and attending all work events together."

Our managers shared a look before Breanna spoke up."Well, we'll leave you guys to talk now... all the best!" She said hesitantly as she pushed Chase into the other cabin.

Annie simply continued staring at her phone as I groaned inwardly.

This was going to be a long flight.
...
Hnggfff and this is where everyone deletes the story cause it's cliché af.

Oh well, I don't regret anything.<3

<3