Chapter 25

"Thats the last of it" Emma said as she put the box down.

We stepped back and admired our new room. Well my room with Emma's stuff now in it. My room now had another dresser in it considering there was not enough space to fit all of Emma's clothes in my closet. There wasn't too much stuff just the basics. Emma traveled light considering she had been living on the run for her whole life. But now that she was with me, we were going to make many memories.

We spent the last two days moving Emma's stuff into my house. We also decided to donate some of the furniture in her house, considering I already had furniture in my house and nothing had sentimental value. We really had to hustle because today was the last day to move her stuff because the real estate agent was holding the open house tomorrow.

Emma wiped her hands on her pants. Her hair was pulled back in a messy pony tail. Her forehead glistened with sweat. She had a smudge of dirt on her cheek. She sighed. "I'm glad we got that done" she said collapsing into my desk chair. I chuckled at her. I love her and all but she was a complainer when it came to physical labor. She pulled out her phone after receiving a message.

"Hey there's a ceremony thing going on at the police station tomorrow. I think we should go" she said reading the message.

"Yeah sure why not? We're done unpacking right?" I said looking around our new surroundings, still excited by the idea that Emma was going to be living with me from now on.

"Yeah" she smiled. "But you know there is still one tradition we need to preform to make this room officially ours" she smirked.

"Oh yeah?" I put my hands on my hips. "And what would that be?"

She stood up and stood in front of me, wrapping her hands around my waist. "christening the bed of course" she smiled up at me. I laughed and then kissed her. 

+

I bounced my knee on the floor. I looked down and checked my watch. "When you invited me to this ceremony I thought it was going to be interesting" I whispered to Emma who was sitting next to me, listening to a highly ranked officer go on about bravery. We had already sat through a couple of speeches and knowing me, it was getting hard to sit still.

"I thought so too. I don't know why we were even invited. I've never been to one of these before" she whispered back.

"I would now like to award Emma Soltis and Luke Smith" we heard the man say. Emma and I looked at each other and than back at the man. He nodded at us. Emma stood up and I followed her up to the stage.

"I would like to award you two for outstanding bravery and courage" the man said as he place a metal over Emma's head. "And for stopping one of the most dangerous men in the country" he continued as he placed the metal over my head.

"If you don't mind me saying sir, we had a little help" I said referring to Sam. The man smiled and nodded.

"We know. Your friend has already been promoted to higher ranking" the man gestured to Sam, who was smiling at us from the crowd.

"Thank you sir" Emma smiled.

"Thats not all" the man said. Emma and I looked at each other and then at the man, confusion set on our faces. "The government would like to offer the position of your partner in crime to Mr. Smith" the man smiled at me. I was being offered a job. One that would have me being with Emma all the time. One that would allow me to be in the loop and protect Emma.

"I accept" I said immediately. Emma grabbed my hand and looked at me. I nodded at her and smiled. I could tell what she was thinking. She was nervous. But being here with her, protecting people was exactly where I belong.

+

"You ready?" I asked, taking Emma's hand. She smiled at me and took a deep breathe. She studied my face, and then nodded. With that we pushed open the doors and walked in.

Everyone turned to look at us. I felt Emma's palms become clammy. We felt all the eyes on us. I squeezed Emma's hand as we kept walking down the hall. Eventually, they turned to keep talking to their friends, or keep looking at their phone after they decided we weren't too interesting. I could see though. People were noticing Emma. They were looking at her. Something she wasn't used to. Emma even received a few friendly smiles. 

"Hey there you two are!" Sam said waving us over to his group of friends. "Thought you might decide not to come back"

"What and miss all this?" Emma said sarcastically looking around the hallway.

"Boy did I miss that sense of humor" Sam said throwing his arm over Emma's shoulder. Emma grimaced at this physical contact. I couldn't help but laugh at their blossoming friendship.

"Guys, I would like to introduce you to my friends, Luke and Emma" Sam said to his friends.

+

After we said hi to everyone and made small talk, Emma and I made our way to English. We walked close so our arms constantly brushed.

"God I forgot how much social skills I lost hiding out" Emma shook referring to our new friend group. I smiled as I wrapped my arm around her. She had been a little awkward at first but quickly warmed up.

"Its going to be different this time around" I said kissing the top of her head. "And much much better" I promised with high hopes. 

"You want to know why?" she asked. I looked at her, pursing my lips and raising my eyebrows.

"Why?" I asked expecting some statistic or science report.

"Because nothing can break this strong love"  she replied, surprising me. She caught me off guard, smiling dopily as she pushed me against a locker. "Nothing" she whispered against my ear as she stood on her tip toes and kissed me.