Chapter 23

Finally the machine stopped banging and the room was silent. The bench slowly pulled out of the machine. I sat up and rubbed my eyes as I had almost fallen asleep. I looked next to me to see Emma. She was slouched in her seat, fast asleep and still holding onto my hand. The doctor came out into the room. Emma jolted up at the sound of a door closing. I squeezed her hand and smiled, letting her know she was still safe. I could see the difference immediately in her nervous, jittery action. But with time and my help, it would dim.

"Well everything looks good" the doctor said looking down at the file he was holding. "The punctured tissue has already been stitched up and no damage was done internally. You are one lucky guy" the doctor chuckled.

"So can I go home?" I asked, a smile tugging at my lips. The doctor paused and read something in the file.

"Yes I see no reason to keep you over night. Just come back in two weeks to have the stitches removed. For now just change the bandages regularly and refrain from strenuous activity" he explained with a smile.

"Will do doc" I said winking. The doctor smiled and closed the file. He shuffled out of the room and shut the door behind him. Emma stood up and smoothed out her shirt.

"You can get changed and Sam and I will wait for you in the lobby" Emma said walking away. I grabbed her hand, pulling her back. "We'll talk later okay?" she said smiling. I nodded and released her from my grip. I watched as she walked out the door. The sound of the door echoed through the empty room. I stood up and grabbed my clothes from where they were sitting on the bench. I bent down to pull up my pants and felt pain shoot up my side. I grunted.

The door opened again. I turned startled, covering my bare chest. "Let me help you with that" Emma chuckled as I relaxed, realizing who it was. She knelt down and pulled my pants to my waist. 

"I thought you were going to the waiting room" I prodded, trying not to look too hard at the cuts on her face.

"I was. But I didn't feel like leaving you again" she smiled. "Also I thought someone might need help getting dressed" she smiled.

"I'm not a child" I scoffed.

"Okay, have fun tying your shoes!" she said turning around.

"Wait!" I called, realizing my mistake. She turned back around and smiled.

"Thats what I thought" she laughed.

+

"Luke" Sam said wrapping me in a hug. I patted his back, rocking back and forth. "Thank god your going to be okay. The lacrosse team would really suffer without you" we both laughed at the mention of something that seemed so foreign.  

"Alright are we finally ready to get out of here?" Emma said rubbing her head. It was now almost one in the morning. I smiled and nodded. "Good because I am exhausted" Emma said as she leaned into my good side. I put my arm around her shoulder as we walked out of the hospital to Sam's car.

"I call shot gun!" I yelled. I jogged towards the car. Emma laughed, rolling her eyes.

"What are you, twelve?" she yelled in a joking tone. We all got in the car and buckled in. I looked into the back seat and saw the tape and scissors bringing back yet another concern. My mother. I decided to let that be a problem for another day.

"Luke" Sam said as he started the car.

"Yes Sam?" I asked sweetly, batting my eyes as I was in a chipper mood.

"Would you like to listen to the radio now?" Sam teased. I laughed and turned the switch. I put it on some pop station. I wasn't so concerned with the song. I just found the background music soothing. I relaxed back into my seat and I felt happy. Despite the events of the last couple days I was happy. I was safe. The love of my life was sitting behind me while I drove next to my best friend. I was safe. So I sat back and enjoyed the ride home.

When we finally got home it was two thirty in the morning. "Thanks for driving me home. And you know for every thing else.I'll text you tomorrow okay?" I leaned down to Sam's driver window.

"Yeah man talk to you later. But uh I think you are forgetting something" Sam nodded to the backseat. I let out a laugh. Emma was sprawled out in the back seat, dead asleep. I leaned down and opened the door. I put one arm under Emma's legs and one behind her back, ready to pick her up.

"What are you doing?" she said, without opening her eyes. I nearly had a heart attack.

"Carrying you to the bed?" it came out as more of a question.

"No. No strenuous activities for you" she said, finally opening her eyes.

"How sweet" I said making a pouty lip. "You do care about me" I said in a sarcastic tone. She swatted me as she got up and got out of the car. She waved good bye to Sam as he pulled out of the drive way and headed home. We stood in the drive way in the dark for a little while, my arm over Emma's shoulder, her arm around my back. Until I broke the silence with something I had been meaning to ask for a while.

"I want you to move in with me"