t w e l v e

Emma

My phone buzzed under my pillow, slowly pulling me from sleep. The warm glow of the morning light filled my sight, a moment of joy filling me before I remembered what today was. Sighing softly, I peeled open my eyes, watching the beam of sunlight that shone through the window onto Luke. 

His dark, lush lashes fluttered softly as he dreamed, little breaths slipping through his lips. I propped myself up on my elbows and rubbed my eyes. I hit the home button on my phone, silencing it. My phone read 8:00 exactly. It was Friday morning, a day all of us were ready to put behind us.

"Luke" I sang softly, rubbing his back. He groaned, slowly rolling over to face me. He blinked a few times as I watched his eyes focus on the world around him. A shadow of grief passed over his face as he remembered, a groan escaping him. He buried his face in the pillow, his thick hair sticking up in every direction. 

"I know, I know but if you don't get up now you'll be late" I licked my finger before rubbing off the dry drool on his cheek. "And by the looks of it, you'll need a shower too" I smiled gently.

He opened one eye, studying me before he returned a smile, a small forced one. For me, it was better than that sad, empty stare I had gotten used to. 

Sitting up, he rubbed the sleep from his eyes. He sighed heavily, glancing at me. "Do I have to go?" he asked quietly, the sadness blanketing him again.

I sat next to him on the edge of the bed, taking his hand in mine. "Yeah," I said, nodding softly. "You'll regret it if you don't. Trust me" I assured, setting him with a knowing look

He solemnly nodded before standing up and trudging to the bathroom. I had showered last night so he could shower this morning. 

I walked to the closet, pulling out a black dress that I had brought over the last time I stopped by my house. I slipped it on, watching as it fell to right above my knees. I examined the long, flowy sleeves and lace neckline that reached the base of my throat. 

The last time I had worn it was for John's funeral, the aching in my heart intensified. He'd know what to do, what to say to Luke, I thought, pulling on black tights and matching high heels. Sighing, I walked to the mirror, brushing out my hair, and putting on what little makeup I wore. 

I went back to the closet, finding Luke's suit and laying it on the bed. It would have been nice, seeing him in that suit at prom, or a wedding. Not his father's funeral. 

Shaking the thought out of my head, I went to the downstairs bathroom and brushed my teeth. I peeked my head out of the bathroom, glancing down the hall. I stared at the white door that leads to Luke's parents- well, mom's room. The cracks in the door were dark, no light seeping through. 

"Mrs. Smith?" I asked, walking towards her door. Sighing, I knocked softly on the door. I waited, pressing up against the wood, listening. A few moments had passed and there was no response. "Mrs. Smith, I'm coming in now" I announced, trying to avoid an embarrassing situation that may arise.  

I pushed open the door, the scent of alcohol hitting me like a brick wall. The room was musty, the blinds sealed shut. It took a moment for my eyes to adjust to the darkness but after a second, I spotted the slumped shape on the bed and the empty bottle of whiskey that lay on the floor.  

"Son of a bitch" I muttered to myself, my heart beginning to race. Moving forwards, I grabbed the bottle off of the ground, throwing it in the trash. I moved to the bathroom, grabbing a cold, wet towel before returning to her room.  

Placing it on her forehead, I shook her shoulders until her eyes peeled open. "Mrs. Smith, it's time. You've got to get ready." I told her, watching reality begin to sink in, along with a nasty hangover.