t h r e e

I don't know how long I sat there, pressed against the window, watching as cars drove by. There was a pit in my stomach, growing by the minute. I couldn't pinpoint the cause, but unease filled my veins, making my stomach churn. 

It was quiet, gentle rain beginning to fall from cloudy sky above. My eyes grew heavy, fluttering shut as I listened to the rain tap against the roof. My head leaned against the window, my tired eyes watching each drop run down the window. But none took my mind off her. A loud crackling cut through the peaceful hum, a gasp escaping me. 

"Varsity Lacrosse Practice is canceled for today. Thank you", the loudspeaker announced, starling me out of my daze. I sighed, figuring it'd be best to go back to class. I stood up, stuffing my hands in my pockets, before setting off.  

I expected to be filled with disappointment that practice was canceled, but I found myself hit with a wave of relief. I wouldn't have been able to focus anyways, not if I couldn't shake this weird mood I was in.  

I eventually made it back to art, the teacher shooting me a dirty look, considering there were only ten minutes left of class. I went to sit down, my eyes spotting a sketchbook left abandoned on the floor. It had been where Emma was sitting. She must've just left it, considering not a speck of dust covered it unlike the gray floor around it. 

Reaching down, I gingerly took it into my hands, turning it over carefully. I sat down, placing it on the table. I took a deep breath, knowing it probably wasn't a good idea to snoop. But curiosity seemed to be pulling the strings as I flipped it open to the most recent page. 

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion, unable to register what I was looking at. It-It was a picture of me. It was my profile, probably drawn while she was sitting right at my side.  

I released a long breath of awe. The picture was like looking into a mirror. She had every detail down, every freckle and eyelash. I couldn't believe this. How could she get every detail so perfectly, without me noticing? It must've taken time. And I was pretty sure this was drawn when she was avoiding me, not that she wasn't anymore. But it was before our proper introduction.  It only created more questions, more confusion. 

The bell rang, signaling the end to another class. I stood up, closing the notebook up as I looked around, making sure no one else had seen. I tucked it safely in my backpack before slipping out of the classroom as I began venturing my way to history. 

I bumped into Sam in the hallway, his face lighting up once he saw me."Hey man! How was art? he asked, glancing down at my charcoal covered hands. 

"Fine" I blurted out causing him to look surprised. If I was going to get close to Emma, against her will, I really shouldn't tell anyone that we're even friends. "It was okay. I just worked on a self-portrait or whatever. Nothing too exciting." I lied, flashing Sam my most convincing smile. 

"Okay" Sam replied hesitantly, shrugging it off.  "Well are you excited for the party tomorrow?" he asked, as he obviously was. My face paled before I cleared my throat. I had totally forgotten that it was Friday, meaning I probably wouldn't see Emma for a couple of days. And there was no chance in hell I was seeing her there tomorrow. 

"Oh yeah totally" I high fived him, pretending to be siked. I really wanted to fit in here and if that meant spending a few hours at a party, I wasn't going to complain. Don't ask me why but thinking about the party suddenly left me feeling nauseous. A sigh escaped me as I began mentally preparing for what was going to be a lot of social interactions.  

-

Finally we made it to history, Sam and I taking out seats as a middle-aged woman who I assumed was the teacher called attendance. Name after name, until, "Emma?" she called. No last name, just Emma