t e n

Third Person

They sat on his bed in a peaceful trance, Luke's hand absently running through her hair. By now Emma was calm, comforted by just being there with him. The nasty thoughts and panic had melted away, leaving her tired. Exhausted, even. 

The silence was broken by a sharp knock that rang from the front door. Emma sat up, straight as an arrow, eyes wide. Luke felt her muscles tense against her, like an animal stalking its prey. It was her instinct, something so second nature to her. Luke's instinct was to go answer the door with a friendly smile. It occurred to him just how much adapting he would have to do. 

Luke laid a hand on her shoulder, her stare unwavering. "It's okay" he whispered, offering a reassuring nod. "C'mon, we'll go together."  

"I should check it first" she insisted, rising slowly to her feet as if she feared the creaking floorboards. Luke sighed in resistance, rising to stand next to her. 

"Em, I'm coming with you" he insisted, that stubborn stare meeting her gaze. "They wouldn't be bold enough, or stupid enough, to knock on the front door" Luke pointed out, watching Emma's eyebrows furrow in thought. 

"Maybe that's what they want us to think-"

Luke rolled his eyes, stepping through the bedroom door into the hall. Emma's eyes flared at his defiance but after a moment she was right there next to him descending the stairs. In fact, Emma pulled ahead, sure to lead. Their footsteps seemed to be the only noise in the house, the silence deafening as they entered the kitchen, slowly approaching the kitchen. 

They stood in front of the doorway, pausing for a moment. Emma's hands had curled into fists, her alert eyes scanning the kitchen for weapons that could be of use. "It'll be okay" Luke promised, pressing a kiss against her temple. 

Emma took a deep breath, swallowing her fear that she had been conditioned to hide for so many years. Taking a step forward, she closed the gap between herself and the door. She grabbed the doorknob, twisting it slowly as backup plans spun and wove themselves in her mind. 

Finally, the door began to open, the two tensed as two tall men were revealed. Emma's hands remained in fists at her side, that is, until she took in their polished looking appearance, navy suits, and medals that decorated their breasts. 

"Mr. Smith?" one of the two men asked, each of them removing their hats. Their strong muscles threatened the seams of their suits, the scalp visible through their buzzcut hair. Emma's fists finally relaxed, a soft sigh of relief slipping through her lips. Stepping to the side, she let Luke step forward to greet the soldiers. 

Luke's eyes narrowed, his eyes jumping between their solemn faces and hung heads. He traced their hats that they clamped in their hands and their uniforms that were all too familiar. Nodding, Luke gulped. "Yes, that's me" he answered with a slight waver in his voice, giving a slight nod.

The man swallowed nervously, his downcast eyes jumping up to meet his partners. The partner took a deep breath, finally raising his eyes to meet Luke's. "I'm so sorry, son," he said, revealing a dirty, worn, camouflaged helmet.  

It took a moment for Emma to understand who the helmet belonged to, but Luke knew who's it was in an instant. He stood still as a statue, staring at the helmet before looking up at the men. Surely they would say, he's just deployed again, sorry. Or just kidding! Gotcha! 

Then it clicked for Emma. Soldiers from the military don't make house calls unless someone's captured or- 

"-Dead. I'm sorry Luke, he's gone." the other man added, uneasy in the silence that hung between them. The look of shock began to morph to horror, the corners of Luke's mouth pulling down as his eyes grew wide.