f i v e

Emma

We pulled up to Luke's house, the car sputtering to a stop. The dark sky stretched out behind his house, little stars poking through the blanket. A long tired high escaped me as I turned the key, the world going quiet.  

"We're here" I muttered, turning to Luke, a smile stretching over my face. His head rested against his chest, his eyes sealed shut. His chest rose and fell with deep breaths, soft snores escaping him. "Oh, Luke" I breathed, smile softly as I got out of the car. 

John stood against the motorcycle that he'd parked next to the car. I tossed him his keys, catching mine in return. He offered me a smile, glancing at Luke who was fast asleep. "Do you mind doing me one last favor?" I asked tiredly, feeling bad for making John come out in the middle of the night when he barely got a day off. 

"I mean, I'm already here. What do you need kid?" he chuckled, running his hair through his silver hair. 

I laughed, grinning at the older man. "My friend needs to make it upstairs. I was able to drag him out of the party,  but he was assisting me. He's dead weight right now and I will definitely not be able to lug him to his room" I admitted, gesturing to the car. 

John sighed, unable to hide the sly grin on his face. "Okay, kid. Whatever you say" he joked, walking around the car before opening the side door. 

I reached in, fishing through Luke's pocket until I felt cold metal brush against my fingers. I pulled the house keys out with a victorious grin, chuckling as Luke mutter something in his sleep.

John reached into the car, grabbing Luke before tossing him over his shoulder. Luke barely even stirred, resigning to hanging over John's back. He looked rather small and frail against John's six-five, muscular frame.  It was a funny sight to see.  

I unlocked the door, letting it open with a loud creak that echoed through the silent house. "This way" I muttered, leading John into the house where I found my way to the staircase, and then the second floor. 

Creeping through the hallway, I caught sight of a navy blue room. A matching comforter covered a double bed, socks, and clothes littering the floor. One or two posters hung on the wall, along with a whiteboard that had nothing written on it. Then I noticed a backpack I recognized as Luke's, slumped against a cluttered desk. "This must be his room" I muttered, entering slowly with John right behind me.   

We both stood there for a moment, quiet as I took in the room. So this was Luke's room. It was pretty similar to how I pictured it, but I had definitely thought it would be a bit more...organized. To give him the benefit of the doubt, he did just move in-

"Ahem" John cleared his throat, raising his eyebrows before gesturing to the sac that he had thrown over his shoulder. 

"Right, sorry" I smiled sheepishly, looking around. "Just plop him down on the bed," I instructed, patting the bed. John practically tossed Luke on the bed, his body bouncing as it hit the mattress. 

Luke barely stirred, turning on his side to nuzzle into his pillow. I shook my head in amazement, nodding towards the door as I guided John back through the house. We finally reached the front door, my hand reaching slowly as I creaked it open. Who knows if his mom is even home. 

"Thanks so much for your help" I thanked John, holding the door open for him as he stepped into the crisp nighttime air that nipped your nose and made your eyes water.

John paused on the front steps, taking in a deep breath as he looked up at the sky. Then he met me with his gaze, leaving me on edge. "You sure you know what you're doing, kid?" he asked, his eyes gentle but face firm.