Chapter 22

"Hey you hungry?" Sam asked. I didn't answer, I just sat numbly, picking at the bandages that covered my chest. "I'm going to get something from that vending machine over there. Are you sure? You haven't eaten in forever and food helps healing" Sam prodded. I stayed silent, biting my lip which was already raw. "Suit yourself" Sam gave up and walked towards the vending machine.

I watched Sam's green eyes scan the machine. It seemed as if he couldn't decide between chips and Reeses. He brought his hand to his chin as if he was making a life altering decision. I found it mildly soothing, not to mention entertaining. Finally he decided on something and punched in the numbers. He bent down and grabbed the food. Than he stood back up and punched in another number. He repeated the same process.

I saw a doctor in the corner of my eyes. I stood up, anxious for some news. But the doctor kept walking to another set of people sitting in the waiting room. It had been two hours and we hadn't heard anything on how Luke was doing. Instead I got poked and prodded until they decided I would heal with time as long as I kept the wounds clean. I also was told I might develop PTSD, but I already knew that. I sighed and sat back down. I had a splitting head ache and I felt like I was going to throw up any minute. I put my head in my hands, trying to make it all stop.

"Hey I got you something to eat" Sam said, plopping down next to me.

"I told you I didn't want anything" I said in an exhausted tone.

"Well I don't care. You are going to pass out if you don't eat anything soon. Just humor me and eat something okay?" Sam handed me a pack of Reeses. I could help but feel warm with some one looking out for me, even against my will. I stared at the package, my eyes becoming glossy. Sam looked between me and the package.

"God your not allergic to peanuts are you?" Sam asked looking horrified.

"No" I said quietly, letting out a huff of air in an attempt to laugh. I heard Sam sigh in relief, relaxing back in his seat. "These are Luke's favorite" I said quietly as I took them out of his hand. I opened the package and took one out. I stared at it for a while, finally biting into it. I had to admit it, it did taste good and I was starving.

"What are you thinking about?" Sam asked after a few beats of silence.

"Luke brought these to art class one day, when he was trying to get me to open up. He opened the package and offered me one. When I refused he started to talk about how just like the candy, some things that are never excepted to be together can make a perfect combination. Just like people, he said. He was so determined to be my friend. And look where that lead him. I should've seen this coming" I muttered as another tear ran down my cheek.

Sam swallowed what he was chewing. "Hey its not your fault" Sam placed his hand on my back. He was silent for a little while, clearly lost in thought. "Do you believe in destiny?" Sam asked, popping another chip into his mouth.

I shrugged, finding the question kind of random. I had never really thought about destiny before. I was more of a logical thinker.

"Well I do. And I think it was destiny for you and Luke to be together. I think you guys are soul mates" Sam continued, smiling as he chewed his chips. I had to admit, the kid was growing on me, and fast.

"Really?" I choked, wiping away the tear.

Sam laughed to himself. "I really have a hard time believing you guys can't see it. I'm not nearly as close with you as I am with Luke but I can tell you one thing, I have never seen anyone so in love with someone as Luke is with you. You can see it in his eyes you know? Whenever he talked about you his eyes lit up. He cares about you so much. He kept your secret pretty well. If it weren't for my job I would've never figured you out. If you feel even half of the way he feels for you than yes you are soul mates. And from what I've seen I do think you love him just as much. I've never seen such a strong love" Sam went quiet after he finished his speech. I stared at him in admiration, deciding that I liked him.