o n e

My name is Luke Smith, I reminded myself as I walked down the long, tiled hallway. Not that I would forget but I have a tendency to stumble on my words. It's a nervous habit. So I chalked it up to nerves as it was my first day at the new school. 

I felt that familiar spark of frustration flare in my gut. I used to believe having a father in the army was great. In my young mind, I believed I was sharing a house with a superhero. As I grew older, I started to see its pitfalls. Moving every year, never seeing my dad, never having consistent friends, not seeing my mom who worked her ass off to keep up with the bills, and living in a constant state of worry. 

Shaking my head, I remembered when I sat at my kitchen table, feet not even touching the table, staring wide-eyed at my father who explained to me what exactly his job was, and why it meant we always need a new house. I had been filled with so much pride, so much joy. It seemed almost comical now. 

Taking in the packed hallway in front of me, I sucked in a deep breath. "Welcome to Dover High, best school in New Hampshire" I muttered to myself, adjusting my backpack on my shoulders. I tried to settle the nervous pit in my stomach that had lingered since I found out about the move. It wasn't the fact that I would miss my old school; there wasn't much there for me except being jostled into the lockers. It was just the constant uprooting of my life, the preparation of being another quiet, nobody who simply drifted through life. 

I looked around, standing in the middle of the hallway. Students milled around, loud laughter and excited shouts floating through the hall. Girls whispered to each other in small circles, guys shoving each other around as they strutted down the hall.  A paper airplane whizzed by my head, starting to make me think I had landed myself in some highschool movie.  

"There you are, Luke! I've been looking all over for you!" a voice called, "Thought you might have gotten lost". A hand clamped down on my shoulder, startling me out of my thoughts. I turned around, recognizing the tan skin and shaggy brown hair. He loomed over me, a friendly grin showing his brilliant white teeth. 

"It's about time, Sam" I retorted, causing him to break out into laughter. The one thing calming my anxiety was Sam, Sam Clark. He was a townie, born and raised right here in this town. I couldn't be happier to befriend someone who knew as much as anyone could about this place. I was put in contact with him through the lacrosse Coach, considering we were on the same team. I had found the gesture silly when it was first mentioned, but I found myself very grateful as I smiled back at him. 

"Let me see your schedule," he asked, although he had already taken it out of my hands. His emerald eyes scanned the page, forehead creased in concentration. The concentration broke, a cheerful smile on his face as he looked up. "Sweet. Looks like we have Chemistry, History, and Wellness together", he explained, handing back the schedule. 

I breathed a sigh of relief, knowing I wasn't going into this completely alone. "Nice" I replied with a smile, tucking the folded piece of paper into my pocket. If this year continued like this, it was going to be a hell of a lot easier than last. "If I can ever find my way to first period" I joked, looking around the large school.

"What am I for, huh? I'll tell ya!" Sam laughed, clapping me on the back which caused me to stumble under the force of his hand.  Sam launched into a long and detailed explanation of getting from one class to another, hands snaking through the air as he tried his best to paint a picture. 

I listened intently, ignoring the heavy feeling that grew in my eyelids. The lack of sleep from the nervous night before was catching up to me. I let out a huge yawn, Sam rolling his eyes as he finished his explanation. "Oh I'm sorry, was my helpful instructions boring you?" Sam joked with raised brows.