Chapter 23

As soon as Deceit held the whip high above his head, Virgil tightly shut his eyes. Deceit was right in front of him. The whip was right above him. It was going to hit him; there was no doubt about it. So he braced himself. Braved himself for the worst.

The whip cut through the air and ran towards him towards him, landing with a thud. But not on him. Nothing touched his skin. Nothing attempted to pierce it. Confused, he opened his eyes to see the whip lying on the floor and Deceit gone from his vision.

"Behind you" A smooth, deep voice whispered. Virgil glanced over his shoulder to see something he thought he'd never see. Deceit. Helping him. It was unbelievable. Deceit was busy untying the rope bounding Virgil to the pole.

"Deceit, what are you doing?" Virgil asked, severely confused.

"Helping you" Deceit replied. "I'm freeing you. All of you" Everyone's face lit up, bringing light to the dark room. "And I'm helping you get Patton back"

"Wait really?" Virgil asked in genuine shock and excitement as he was finally untied from the pole after hours of being stuck there. Deceit nodded and Virgil ran over to Logan whilst Deceit ran over to Roman, helping to untie them.

"Yes" Deceit confirmed. "This is all my fault so I'm going to put things right again. I never should have taken him away from you in the first place or tied either of you up. I'm sorry Virgil" He appologised.

Virgil blinked. "Did you just call me by my real name?" Deceit nodded. "You never do that"

"Well you're not a dark side anymore and I can't keep treating you like one Anx-Virgil" He quickly corrected himself and Virgil smiled softly.

"Thanks. That really means a lot to me"

"Of course! Anyways, after seeing you and Patton together, seeing how happy you both were, I guess I got a bit...jealous"

"Jealous?" Roman repeated.

"Indeed. I so desperately wanted exactly what the cutest couple ever had that I was willing to do anything in order to get that. But now, I realise that I shouldn't have tried to force something as powerful as love. When the time is right, I'll find the right guy for me. Till then, I guess I'll just have to wait"

"Yes you will you slimey little boy" Roman reassured him as he was untied. He immediately ran towards Logan, who had now also been untied, and Virgil, engulfing them in a huge hug. Deceit just stood and watched, his arms crossed.

"You can join us too you know" Virgil invited him in. Smiling, Deceit immediately joined the hug, their warmth radiating his body.

After a while, he eventually had to pull away as he knew it wouldn't be long until Depression returned. "You three need to hide" He told them. "You can even hide in the darkness of the corner if you need to. Just make sure that he can't see you" Nodding, the three immediately followed Deceit's instructions.

Deceit head over to a small cupboard in the corner of the basement and grabbed some rope and a thick, black wristband before standing in the doorway, awaiting Depression's return.

"Bring it on"