The Worst Of It

[The Past]

Doctors were holding the kids down as they kicked and trashed in agony, tears streaming down their faces. The pain they were feeling now was like no other and they didn't understand why. Y/N was already hurt, but it didn't hurt that bad. Newt was now all of the sudden feeling an awful pain radiating from his ankle for absolutely no reason.

"Calm down!" One of the Doctors yelled. "It'll all go away soon!"

Newt didn't want to believe it, because laying there had already felt like years. Sooner or later, he was going to pass out. He wanted to know how Y/N was, but he was in too much pain to even lift his head up.

Y/N was the first to begin calming down. Her screams faded to light whimpers and her kicking switched to complete stillness, sat up on the edge of the bed. Newt followed shortly after, sitting up feeling as if he was going to lose all of his breakfast. "What the bloody hell was that?!"

"Newt, language." Dr. Paige said sternly. It seemed like for a moment she was avoiding his question until she dragged a chair over to sit in front of the pair. "Now, I understand what you just experienced was extremely painful. But, that was the worst of it, I promise."

"Worst of it?! What did you do?" Newt blabbered, still shaken up and frantic.

"We recently developed a software which will allow you and Y/N to feel one another's pain. We have reason to believe that it will help us map parts of the Killzone we once thought were untouchable." Dr. Paige explained.

It didn't make sense to Y/N or Newt. All it sounded like was torture.

"It will take some adjusting to. But, it will help us immensely towards finding a cure. You two have a very important job, you should be proud." The same doctor who was holding Newt down spoke. He had a messed up kinda nose, making him look like a rat. Newt didn't like him.

"Wait, so how does it work?" Y/N brushed away the tears from her face.

Dr. Paige reached down and grabbed Y/N's ankle in her hand. Then, she gently flexed it upwards causing Y/N to wince in slight pain. To Newt's surprise, he felt it too. He had the exact same reaction as Y/N. Next, Dr. Paige pinched Newt's arm, and Y/N's hand immediately reached up to the same spot on her body, face tense.

Dr. Paige almost smiled, knowing it was working. "It works just like that. Stubbed toes, burns, broken bones, headaches, you'll feel it all. Because of this, we've placed communication devises in your rooms so that you can contact each other at anytime. What you learn from this is just important to us as what we can observe from our labs. Now, off to your rooms for some rest."

Leaving the room, Newt found himself also walking with the same limp Y/N had. Strangely enough, Y/N could also feel a burning sensation on the left side of her face. She looked to Newt, and sure enough, there was a red mark where someone or something must have hit him. Carefully, she reached to touch it. Just as she did, Newt jerked his head back and she retracted her hand quickly as if it were her own face she was touching. Panic momentarily swept over her.

"Glad I'm sharing this thing with you and not Minho," Newt mumbled quietly. "I might die if it was him."

Y/N laughed lightly. In that moment, Newt felt a feeling of warmth sweep over him. One he wouldn't have normally felt in this sort of situation. Sure, Y/N's laughter made him feel better at times, but this was different. Maybe there was more to this than just sharing pain. Whether it was meant to be or a flaw in the system, Newt wasn't about to mention it. If he could feel some of the joy that Y/N did on occasion, he'd be ecstatic. More often than not, he felt weighed down by something unexplainable. Anything that lifted him up he latched onto tight. That was why he was glued to Y/N.

"Call me if anything weird happens." Y/N smiled softly at Newt as the guards dragged her off to her own room across the hall. Newt waved to her gently, irrationally afraid of the idea that it might be the last time he'd ever see her. Deep down, he knew it wouldn't be. After all, they were one of WICKED's experiments. Wasn't the point to keep your test subjects alive with these sorts of things?

It wasn't long until Newt called Y/N. She was the only contact on the device, meaning there would be no way to contact Minho or Alby. But, it was better than nothing. At least he'd have someone to talk to when he was locked away in the room for what felt like an eternity sometimes. "Does your knee hurt?"

"Yeah, does yours?" Y/N groaned and then sighed. "That was a stupid question."

"Yea, it does." Newt whispered. "Sorry about that."

"Don't apologize." Y/N said. "We're going to have to get used to hurting one another."

Newt knew she was right, but he didn't want to hurt her. He didn't want to get used to hurting his best friend. He didn't want to live in fear of hurting himself simply playing with Minho because of how it would affect her. A whole other line of considerations had been added to his conscience, as if he didn't already have enough to worry about.

"I guess," He muttered. "See you soon."

"Bye!" She said back quickly before shutting down the call. Newt could practically hear her smile though the device, making him feel a little bit better about everything that was happening.

He wasn't sure how he was going to sleep with the now constant, searing pain in his ankle. But, he'd have to get used to it. Anything she felt, he felt.

Unfortunately, Y/N was the first to be surprised by a hurricane of unexpected pain. She woke up from her sleep to a hollow ripping feeling spreading its way through her abdomen. The first thing she did was make a call to Newt who immediately picked up. His first words, of course, were "I'm sorry."

"No, it's ok." Y/N tried to catch her breath. "What's happening?"

"I don't know," His voice faded and then a strange muffled sound made its way though the device. She knew what it was once she felt the burning in her throat and feeling of vertigo. Newt was sick. "I think they gave me some kinda bug on purpose. My stomach hurts like—"

"I know. Me too." Y/N curled up on her bed and thew as many blankets as she could over herself. Then and there, she knew it was going to be an awful long time until the two of them got used to this. Of course, the doctors could have done something much worse to them, but this was rather miserable. They couldn't have just waited until someone stubbed a toe. No, they had to make Newt sick.

It was two very, very long days for Newt and Y/N. Two days they were trapped inside of their rooms, locked away from their friends. Meals were delivered, but they hardly ate. One thing after the other, the doctors kept causing pain to one of the kids to gauge the others reaction. Sore teeth, headaches, the feeling of broken fingers and burnt toes. It seemed never ending, and by the end of it all, they were so exhausted they both fell asleep mid conversation. WICKED was obviously pleased with the results because they left the kids to sleep through the night and had them join onto normal routines once again in the morning.

Minho and Alby were nothing short of horrified when they saw their baggy-eyed, slow moving friends making their way into the cafeteria. They weren't cleaned up as they normally were and seemingly had a difficult time sitting down at the table.

"You two look like crap. What'd they do to you?" Minho scoffed.

Y/N looked to Newt weakly, as if to say she was too tired to speak and he needed to do it for her. He didn't mind. "They messed with our heads. Made it so that we can feel each others pain."

"Wait," Alby put his for down. "So...you can feel Y/N's ankle?"

"All the time." He yawned, eyes watery causing him to blink rapidly. "Anything that hurts one of us, we can feel it."

"You tellin' me I punch Newt's pretty face right now, Y/N will feel it?" He smirked.

Newt distanced his face away from Minho's line of fire. "Yes, so be careful. If you think about hurting me, know you're hurting her too."