They Know

"You don't have to be so strong all the time, love." Newt said softly as he wiped away some of the dried blood on her knuckles. "You've also ought to stop getting yourself into trouble."

Y/N furrowed her brows and let out a light laugh. "Why's that? Someone has to do it. I can't leave all the trouble making to Minho."

"Because," Newt sighed. "My heart can't take it."

"Well, you'd better get that sorted. I'm never going to stop." Y/N punched Newt's shoulder lightly and though he didn't look up to meet her eyes, he smiled.

"That's not it, though." He admitted. "Something's wrong here. I think they know who we are."

"They definitely know who we are." Y/N grumbled. "They were asking about our names when they were doing my tests, but no one else's. Janson had a major freak out when the guards pushed me, and started saying something like 'he'll know,' before he stopped himself."

Newt ran his hands through his hair like he always did when nervous. "Well shuck."

"He had to have been referring to you—"

"Alrightey, lovebirds!" Minho bounded through the door. "Picnics over! We're having a meeting. C'mon!"

Newt tossed aside the towels, now a reddish brown colour from Y/N's blood. Then, he gave her a hand up and they walked out in the room. The boys had arranged the bunks in some strange, failed attempt of a circle. Thomas sat at was probably meant to be the top of the circle, since circles had a top in Minho's brain. Nothing really made sense in that boy's brain except to himself.

"So, we've got some problems." Minho started the conversation. "To catch Y/N and Newt up, Thomas left and made friends with that weird cornbread boy. Bart?"

"Aris," Thomas corrected. "How'd you screw up that bad, man?"

"Dunno, don't care." Minho shrugged it off. "Anyways, they found some spooky stuff: Bodies being taken into a secured place in the facility."

"So, maybe they had to sedate them to take them to that paradise, or whatever?" Winston jutted in.

"I don't think anybody ever really leaves this place," The Aris kid said, making everyone in the room jump in surprise. He slunk out from behind Thomas suddenly. No one even realized he was there. Minho may have now felt ever so slightly bad for botching the kids name now and calling him cornbread boy.

"AND!" Minho spoke up. "Teresa is M.I.A. No real surprises there, but y'know, it could be a problem."

"No surprises?" Thomas scoffed. "Minho, she's with us."

"Uhhh, listen here, pretty boy." Minho waved his arms frantically. "A girl like that don't just fall for a boy lookin' like you. I think she knows something we don't and is using us. Particularly you, Thomas."

Thomas looked highly offended. "What—"

"He might be right," Y/N finally piped up. "When the doctors were running our tests, they took her to a separate room for a while. I don't know what they did, but she came out acting strange. Secretive, almost. When I tried to fight the guards so she'd get to stay here with us, she kept telling me to stop. It was like she had other plans."

"Ha!" Minho pointed at Thomas and laughed. "Your girlfriend is loco!"

"Hey!" Newt shouted. "We don't know anything for sure yet. But, what we do know is that these people aren't who they say they are."

The room remained silent. That was when Newt realized these boys did still look to him as a leader. "For now, we keep our heads low. Until we know more, we stay put. Thomas and Aris, find out all you can. We'll keep a good cover for you."