Wanted

The once horrific garden was now flourishing, nearly fifty boys lived amongst each other rather peacefully and things were well. In the grand scheme of things, that was. Sure, they may have been stuck living in a seemingly inescapable maze, but the world was trouble free and predictable. Newt didn't mind that.

What he did mind was all of the unanswered questions about him and Y/N. They still had no idea how or why they shared pain. The only clue they had was the Glade's newest arrival: Teresa. She and Thomas were somehow able to communicate telepathically, able to share thoughts. Newt couldn't help but wonder if it was the same sort of thing between him and Y/N, but with feelings instead of thoughts. Because, after all, it wasn't just the physical side they could feel, it was the emotional one too.

Far too often, Newt found himself feeling miserable. That all familiar crushing, heavy weight on his heart which had once drawn him up that wall. He did all he could to force it away so that Y/N didn't feel it and he would isolate himself somewhere in the Glade. The place, however, was small and Y/N always found him. He could try all he wanted to build his walls so high no one would be able to overtake them, but Y/N could. All she needed to do was hug him and he would fall apart.

He felt awful because all of his pain transferred to her. If he didn't feel that way, she wouldn't have to bear the burden. But, then he would feel sorrowful because he did feel that way anyways and couldn't do anything about it. Thus, it was always a vicious cycle of self-depreciation and holding back tears. That, along with many long, sleepless nights of rocking back and fourth on his bed while Y/N held his hands.

She was strong when he couldn't be. He felt weak. But, Y/N saw the opposite. She saw someone who let his vulnerability show and was letting her help him. They were in this together and she would never ask for anything to change. No matter how many times she told him that, he still felt guilty.

The sky outside was grey and as things seemed, they would have to leave the Glade sooner than later. Thomas and Minho had found a way out, Teresa had caused a mass panic with her arrival and the grievers had attacked once, due to be back soon.

Everyone may have been hurting when they finally made it out of the maze, but it was Y/N and Newt who were in the worst situation. They felt not only the weight of loss which was on their own shoulders, but that of each others. Their pain was doubled.

Mulling about the now torn apart lab with broken computer screens and shards of glass laying about, Newt's eyes landed on Thomas. He was standing completely still before a large video screen which had appeared before him. On it was a lady, a doctor, with blonde hair and in obvious distress. Everything was a bit of a muffled mess as it met his ears. "If you're watching this, that means you have successfully completed the maze trials."

Across the room, Newt made his way over to Y/N, standing at her side, not wanting to be anywhere else but with her. "You must all be very confused, angry, frightened." The voice caught Newt's attention once again. "I can only assure you that everything that's happened to you, everything we've done to you, it was all done for a reason."

While the doctor continued, Newt fell into his thoughts. She was making it seem like all of what had happened was just a small little experiment that had no real repercussions. It made him feel like they never cared he climbed up that wall or that he spent nearly every night awake and with his miserable thoughts. He truly believed they found a way for him and Y/N to share pain just for their entertainment. Sure, this woman was a scientist. But Newt knew he was a human, not a rat.

The woman continued speaking about the world, how it had fallen to pieces and the sun scorched the surface. Newt didn't really pay attention until his name was mentioned.

"By now, Thomas and Teresa, I am sure you have discovered your ability to communicate without speech. Y/N and Newt, we long ago concluded that you two are still able to feel one another's pain." She said. "We implemented the experiment when you were very young, so you will not remember. The first few months were not easy, but the results began to show."

Now, in the background of the video, the building was being attacked. Gunmen were everywhere and Dr. Paige was looking rushed.

"The two of you are a couple of out most valuable assets towards finding a cure. The way your minds interact is phenomenal and unlike to any of our other subjects. We need you to find one of our facilities after—"

It was then that the sound of glass shattering filled everyone's ears, the doctor's voice came to a halt and she disappeared from the frame.

Everyone forced their eyes away from the screen where the doctor now lay unmoving due to a gunshot. But, when Y/N and Newt opened their eyes, they were met with everyone else already staring at them. No one was surprised by the information that Y/N and Newt could share one another's pain. It was the fact that WICKED placed such a high value on them because of it. Not only that, but WICKED wanted them back, needed them back. All of this time, it had been their motive to run and get as far away as possible from the creators, not to escape and then fall back into their embrace. In some strange way, though, Newt felt an obligation to find some of the doctors who were still alive.

What he wanted now, however, didn't matter. He'd been so lost in his thoughts, he'd missed an entire conversation between his friends and the bombardment of a group of people. Their faces were covered with heavy cloths, goggles over their eyes, and guns in their hands. Something told Newt he should do as they said.

In doing so, he along with the others, were packed into a helicopter and being lifted over the maze in seconds. Below them, as the helicopter coast in the sky, was the maze and the Glade. The small green patch was left in shambles, scarred by fire. That was there home, for as long as they could remember, and now they were leaving it forever. Many of the Gladers found themselves with a deep ache in their chest, not realizing just how content they would have been staying there. No one knew what the outside world held for them, and as it looked now, things weren't promising. Below them was nothing but sand and dry, cracked earth. Forwards was a dilapidated city, obviously abandoned for many years and worn by the elements. If this is what the whole world was like, Newt didn't want it.

At his side was Y/N, staring out the window, completely dumbfounded. It was here and now that he realized how far they had come. The first time they met, they were both confined to beds in the medjack hut, muttering curses due to the pain of Newt's fall. Now, they had gotten used to sharing each others feelings and it never bothered them. But, despite all, they both walked with the same limp. Even though Y/N had a fully functional leg, she'd developed the habit of a limp from simply having the pain for so long.

The slightly imperfect walk she now had was just one of the many things Newt found himself smiling at day after day about her. When he looked to her, all of his worry faded. No longer was his mind in shambles about where they were going, what the rest of the world was like, or who was after them. When she filled his consciousness, nothing could bother him.

Soon enough, Newt found his eyes becoming heavy and the allure of sleep overtaking him. Regardless of the bumpy ride and loud, reverberating hum of the helicopter blades, he found himself asleep in seconds. After a while, Y/N found a place at his side and leaned her head back up against the wall behind her. It was uncomfortable and awkward, but same as Newt, she wasn't able to resist the sleep which was tugging at her. In no way did she know what she would wake up to when they landed, but figured as long as Newt was there, it couldn't be all that awful.