Willing To Lie

To Y/N's very own surprise, she'd made it where she had hoped she would. After weaving through the WICKED facility and peering into every room she passed, the girl found Dr. Paige. She was standing alone in a hallway, hands wrapped around her head in distress.

Y/N took a few steps forward and the woman's head snapped up, eyes locked on her intruder.

"Y/N?" She questioned.

"Yeah," Y/N confirmed. Memories came flooding back of everything Dr. Paige had done for her when she was little. Talking with her when she was mad for having to only live with boys. Supported her with her 'school work' or whatever one wanted to call it. In a sense, Dr. Paige had once been the closest thing to a mother for Y/N. "I think you know why I'm here."

"I can only make an assumption." The woman cowered.

Y/N tried to calm the burning in her throat and hold back the tears. "Why'd you do it?"

Dr. Paige sighed and lowered her head. "Newt was showing strong changes in his kill zone pattern. Separating you two gave us an even better look at what was going on in his mind."

Y/N fought back her own, harsh words. "Watching him die so you can get a little bit more research means more to you—" The girl fumbled over her words. "Means more to you than letting us live?"

"...Newt said you wouldn't shut off the connection unless it was under the worst of circumstances. Explain to me how we were under the worst of circumstances?" Y/N's words were now flowing out faster, more furiously.

"Because we need Thomas. I'm being honest with you when I say making Newt ill was out best chance at having Thomas come to us." She said coldly. "We knew that with time, he would come pleading for a cure. Y/N, please just try to understand."

"I'll never understand why you would take away the one thing keeping someone like him alive." Y/N snarled. "He did nothing wrong. Did nothing to deserve this."

"I know how this appears—"

"Change it back." Now, Y/N pulled out her gun. She would never fire it, but it was leverage. Leverage she needed desperately. "Make things right again, make it so that no one can ever disconnect us again, and I'll help get Thomas to you."

Y/N stepped closer, causing Dr. Paige to take a few steps back. "Now."

"Okay, just down the hall." Ava said softly, beginning to walk down the barren hallway with Y/N on her heel. "But you have to promise to bring Thomas to us."

"I'll do what I can." Y/N said. She wasn't making any promises. Thomas was just more leverage for her in this situation. Now, more than ever, this was all beginning to feel like an every man for himself sort of ploy. But, if it meant keeping Newt alive, Y/N was willing to lie.

Dr. Paige sat down in front of a large, blue tinted screen. She rushed through multiple files and security blocks before she was able to load both Y/N and Newt's files. Y/N's heart broke a little when there was a large button which read 'connect' and 'disconnect' on the other side. Disconnect was a bright red, while connect was a dull green. It was obvious which was selected. What bothered her the most was knowing how easy it would have been for it to be turned off at any moment. The way Ava had made it seem, it was supposed to be a difficult process to make the switch. But, it was obvious that it wasn't at all. With one click, WICKED could turn their worlds upside down like it didn't matter.

"Fix it." Y/N pressured.

"One moment," Ava peered over her shoulder at Y/N. "I'm implementing a fail safe so no one can ever turn it off again."