Burning Out

Newt continued to get sicker over the following few days. He started lashing out at Thomas and Gally, even when it was completely unexpected. Despite his hot temper in some situations, he clung to Y/N with every part of his being any chance he got. As the veins in his arms slowly got darker and raised up from under his skin like grass under concrete, he knew his time was running short. It was like watching an hourglass on his own body. All he wanted now was to fall asleep with Y/N and never wake up. At least then, his ending would be peaceful.

It didn't seem that that was going to be the case, though. Thomas and Gally had a strong plan for breaking into WICKED and they were set to infiltrate tonight. They were going to get Minho and then leave this place for good, leaving behind WICKED and all of the awful things they had put the Gladers through. Y/N knew that it was wishful thinking to get through the city, find Minho and leave unscathed. Especially with the shape Newt was in.

Everything felt like it was a blur for Y/N. One minute she was helping Newt hobble through secret underground tunnels which led into the city, then she was suiting up in WICKED armour. Teresa was here with them now, guiding them into the research building that they never would have broken into alone. She was their inside man and all everyone could hope was that she wouldn't turn on them or get cold feet.

Thomas, Newt and Gally fired their guns and took down a few WICKED guards. Gally immediately went for a vault in the back of the room which he knew to have bliss inside whereas Thomas bolted to the other side of the room. Lined along the walls were doors and inside those rooms were bunks, kids on the beds, WICKED's subjects. Without hesitation, he took the doors down and kids came flooding out. It was quite literally a jailbreak to free the innocent from the guilty, not the other way around. Y/N helped him to settle the kids and explain to them what was about to happen.

Despite Newt wanting to stick together, Thomas had him come along to help find Minho.

On his way out the door, Newt grabbed Y/N's arm and loomed over her, holding her tight. "I'll see you soon."

Y/N could tell that despite how hard he'd tried to sound confident, there was a lace of doubt woven in with his voice. She was so accustomed to feeling what he was in every moment that it tore her apart to only be able to read his expression and not feel his own heart in her chest. It also nearly brought her to tears knowing that he also couldn't feel how hurt she was watching him get sicker by the minute.

"Okay." She croaked, letting him go before Thomas lost his patience. The look in Newt's eyes as he left burned into Y/N's mind. His brown eyes which had once been soft and earthy were clouded, dark and inevitably poisoned.

If there was any moment in all of the time she had known Newt that she wished she could make a deal with god, to swap their places, now was that time. If only.

Y/N and Gally had now ushered all of the kids from inside to a bus down in the parking garage, manned by Brenda. She took the kids aboard and Gally entrusted one of the boys with the bag of bliss. After sending off Brenda, he looked to Y/N.

"Those shanks aren't gonna make it out without us. Let's go save their butts." He almost laughed despite how dire things were.

"I—I can't come with you." Y/N stood firm, her gun held weakly in her hand. "I've got to go somewhere else."

"What are you talking about? We can't split up now." He barked.

For a few seconds, Y/N felt a harsh tug on her heart. It was like something had grasped it and was trying desperately to drag her in the right direction, because otherwise she'd go the wrong way. That feeling was telling her to go find Doctor Paige. To find her and not leave until she reset their connection and get rid of the ability for someone to shut it off ever again.

"I need to save Newt." Her voice was weak as it fell out of her mouth, eyes watering. She knew this was a risky decision. But what did she had to loose? If she didn't do this, Newt was going to die. If she went to Dr. Paige and didn't succeed, Newt was going to die regardless. She didn't want to live in a world without him. After all they had been through, putting her life on the line in hopes of saving him was something she was more than willing to do.

"Y/N—"

"Gally, I need to go. Okay? If I don't come back and meet you at the berg, leave. But I've got to try to fix this and Paige is the only one who can." She explained confidently, all of the sudden her worry vanishing. Her decision was made and it was either going to work or it wasn't. That was up to some other power to decide now.

"Are you stupid?" Gally reached out for Y/N's shoulder but she pulled away. "You're hurt and don't know klunk about this place. You're going to get yourself killed."

"Yeah, I probably am." She said coldly, her face devoid of any kind of emotion. The sight sent chills down Gally's spine. Y/N was the girl back in the Glade he relied on for a bright smile and soft laughter. This was a different person. "Newt is going to die if I don't try."

"Good luck, Y/N. Really." Gally sent her one last honest glance. "You radio if you need anything, got it?"

"Got it." Y/N nodded and watched as the former keeper of the builders sprinted off, pulling his mask back over his face.