Blind Faith

Everyone woke in a panic to Thomas hoarsely cursing off a bird picking through his pack of supplies. He may have gotten up with ease and was ready to get on the move, but the others had different plans. Their bodies ached and simply breathing was painful. If they could stay here resting for the entire day, no one would complain. But, they had to keep moving. If they didn't, WICKED or the Cranks would find them again.

Newt began to stir, making a half-hearted attempt to blink the sleep away from his eyes. Last night had all been a blur. He remembered the Cranks and then Y/N making him nearly die of a heart attack by disappearing over a ledge. After that, though, everything melted together. He vaguely remembered Minho being sent out to find her because he was in no condition to do so himself.

This morning, however, he looked down to his side to find Y/N fairly close to himself. Closer than she had been just the night before in the WICKED facility in the bed beside his. Her knees were curled into her chest, making her look vulnerable and frightened. Yet, at the same time, she looked peaceful. Of all things, the last Newt wanted to do was wake her. But, he knew he had to. Thomas was anxious to get moving and everyone else already seemed to be getting up and preparing themselves for the days horrors. Minho was still laying peacefully, unwilling to move from his comfortable position. That was, until Thomas gave him a quick kick to the shins.

The morning light now illuminating the world they had blindly navigated last night stung everyone's eyes. The air was full of dust, making adjusting their eyes to the morning even more difficult. Once they did, however, no one missed the dilapidated city they were now standing right in the middle of. They were merely standing on the outskirts of one of many abandoned, broken buildings in this city. The place was in shambles, no sign of life anywhere on the horizon.

As everyone willingly followed Thomas through the barren city, Newt caught up to Y/N and lightly tapped her shoulder. She slowed to match his pace, a soft, sorry smile crossing her features. Newt could tell she still felt ever so guilty about disappearing last night.

"Thank you," Newt piped up. "For what you did, last night."

Y/N furrowed her brows, looking to him confused. "You're not mad?"

"Well," Newt laughed lightly. "I am, in a way. You saved me, though. I can't hate you for that."

Y/N stifled a laugh and kicked a rock at her feet. "Thanks."

"Yeah, but now this means I owe you. I honestly do not appreciate being indebted to someone, especially when it involves life and death like this." He admitted.

Y/N smiled softly. "It's what friends do. Don't think you owe me."

Newt took in a deep breath and looked forwards. He had a hard time not feeling like he owed her after she took such a selfless act in protecting him. In no way could she have known how high that fall was going to be, or if she'd be able to kill the Crank. She'd done it in complete blind faith for him.

"Those memories you got back," Newt spoke up again after a while of walking in silence. "How much do you remember?"

Y/N visibly tensed. "Enough. Enough to know we should do everything we can to stay away from WICKED. They put us through tests which were inhuman and I had to sit and watch when you—"

Y/N stopped, and Newt knew why. She didn't need to finish the story. "When I jumped." He forced out the words harshly. "You tried to stop me, didn't you?"

"I did everything I could to stop you." She admitted. "But it wasn't enough."

"I can't say anything would've been, love." Newt lowered his face closer to hers, trying to catch her gaze. "Those were different times."

"Regardless, the past is the past." Newt shrugged. "It still hurts, but it's over. Tell me more about...well, whatever you remember. The younger us?"

Y/N pursed her lips and smiled, letting her mind block out the things which haunted her and let in the good memories. "Well, you, me, Minho and Alby used to sneak out quite a lot."

Newt laughed. "I'm not surprised. Devious, were we?"

"A little," Y/N said. "You and I had these communication devices so we could talk when locked away in our rooms. The doctors would run weird pain simulations at the worst of hours, so we spent most of our time awake at night talking through those things."

"Let me guess, I never wanted to hang up because listening to you helped me take my mind off of the pain?" He asked.

Y/N felt the slightest bit of heat rushing into her cheeks. "Honestly? Yeah."

"Well," Newt sighed. "At least some things remained the same."

Y/N then realized what he was saying. It made her heart beat a little faster, and when she looked up, Newt had his head lowered to the ground, but an uncontrollable smile was plastered on his face. The two of them truly went a long ways back. It was just a shame she was the only one with the memories.

"Hang on," Thomas, from now at the back of the group called everyone to slow their walking. "Stop."

Everyone did as told and stood completely still. Thomas looked a little dazed and was evidently listening intently for something. "Do you hear that?"

For a moment, the other Gladers heard nothing and just assumed Thomas was insane. However, after a couple more seconds, a distant reverberating hum met their ears.

Then, it hit Thomas. "Get down!" He hollered, rushing around in circles searching for a place to hide. It was a berg, a large flying machine, undoubtedly sent to search for the Gladers. "Everybody hide!"

Thomas grabbed Y/N and Newt without a second thought and dragged them beneath a large piece of rubble as quickly as possible. The three of them were WICKED's top priority right now, and Thomas did not feel like being captured this soon after a massive escape.

As the ships roared overhead, the kids sat in silence.

"They're never gonna stop looking for us, are they?" Minho asked. No one answered because they already knew the answer.

Everyone knew they were valuable to these scientists. They were aware of the possibility that they were the pathway towards finding a cure for the rest of the people on the earth who weren't immune. But, now they truly saw what they were worth. Hardly twelve hours after their escape WICKED was obviously pouring all of their resources into finding the Gladers and brining them back to the labs.

Y/N had her head in her hands, squatting in a defeated position. Minho was the first to notice, shoving her gently with his arm. "What's got you in the dumps all the sudden?"

Y/N raised her head and rubbed her face in frustration. "This mis my fault."

"What kinda crap you spewin?" Minho questioned.

"If I'd been more careful, they might not know who Newt and I are." She explained.

"Hate to break it to you," Minho raised a brow. "But, I think they had it figured out before we even showed up. You two always lookin at each other like the other one's lost an ear."

"Minho's right," Thomas jumped in. "Janson had his eye's on you two since the beginning. There was nothing you could have done."

Y/N tried to accept what Thomas and the others were saying was true. She still didn't understand what it was about two kids who shared pain that made them so special, and also wasn't sure she ever wanted to find out.

"Alright, let's get moving. They're gone." Thomas ushered everyone to their feet. Instead of heading down the safest looking, clear path before them, Thomas opted for the pile of rubble and ruins. No one like the plan, but maybe, in the long run, it would pay off. Frypan truly had his doubts, but he followed without question. He, nor did any of the others, want to be in charge of leading this group through literal hell. Besides, Thomas seemed to know the most about what was going on and what direction they should be headed. All the others hoped was that their efforts wouldn't prove to be futile and end in their demise.

Minho, of all people, wanted to go out with a bang. Not die of dehydration. And Newt wanted to know more about how any why the world became what it is now before he died.