Jocelyn's River: Chapter 22 (The Letters)

07/12/1969 

Dear Jocelyn,

             I am fine physically, but I don't know about emotionally.  It's not easy over here.  You can only imagine.  The weather is hot and humid.  There are many colored men here and one told me that Dr. King said that, “this is a white man's war, a black man's fight”.  I have made friends and enemies, but I am here to do a job and live to tell my experiences.  Some events have been horrific and I cannot share them with you.  You are on my mind day and night, Jocelyn.  I love you so much.  I'm ready to get back home.

       I'm sorry that this letter is so short.  I haven't had much time to write.

                                                                                                                                                Yours truly,  River

                                                                                                                                                           July 14, 1969

Dear River,

       I cannot begin this letter without letting you know how much I miss you.  Without you, everything in my life is empty.  Despite this, I need you to understand how proud I am of you.  You are headstrong and I pray that you keep your courage while fighting for us.  Even when you break down, I want you to rise again.  You have so much support back home.  We do not know what the experience is like, but we know that God is guiding you every step of the way.

                I have some news for you.  It should be good news, and yet, I am not so sure.  Just last month, I discovered that I am pregnant with your child.  We have never discussed this before and I do not know how you feel about having children right now; however, we knew the possible results of having sex.  What scares me is that you will not be here during my pregnancy.  Nevertheless, I don't want this to discourage you.  Perhaps it will make you stronger.

                I have people who will help me.  My parents are already aware.  They weren't jumping up and down with joy when I told them.  They were disappointed, but it will have to fade eventually.  There is nothing they can do except try and be happy for me.  I know that they will love the child, but it kills them to know that I am not married yet.

                I am blessed, River.  I don't want you to worry.  You are a wonderful man who will lead a long and wonderful life and I hope to lead this life with you. 

                                                                                                                                                        Love, Jocelyn

Dear Jocelyn,

      Why wouldn't I be happy about having a baby?  Wow!  I am the happiest I have ever been since being in this hell hole.  I was sad until I heard this news.  A young man from my squad was killed just last night.  He was a good friend of mine, you see.  He was from Charleston, South Carolina and he was only twenty-three years old.  Luke was his name.  Luke seemed to think he was invincible sometimes and he wanted to do what his father did not.  His father didn't survive in World War II and Luke wanted to make his family proud.  It all happened so fast.  I can't go into all the details.  He was shot real bad by the enemy after going against a command and being a rebellious little devil.

       Life is short, now that I think about.  It seriously feels like hell on earth over here.  I miss Luke and I miss you even more.  I can't tell you where I am right now, but I do want to get back to telling you how I feel about this baby.  I am thrilled and I will do my best to be a good father even though I didn't have one for most of my life.  Now, I am imagining a baby girl with your high cheek bones or a baby boy with your chocolate brown eyes.

       I don't want you to worry about me and I know it will be hard.  I hate that I'm not with you right now.  I will be there by your side, eventually and then you will be my wife.  Take care of yourself, darlin'.  Everything will work out.  These letters won't exactly be in order from now on and I apologize for that.

                                                                                                                                       Yours truly, River