Jocelyn's River: Chapter 8

Staying angry with him proved to be difficult.  It had only been two days.  No one sensed anything was wrong because I did not allow it to show.  I fought with myself over my actions.  River did not appear to be overly drunk; however, I did see that the alcohol had a negative effect.  He brushed my worries over his shoulder as if it was nothing to be concerned about.  My father preached against alcohol and I was stuck to his words. 

            I was upstairs in the afternoon, preparing to go out with my father to see Mr. Benson and his wife to pray for them.  I was pulling up the zipper on my dress when I looked out the window and saw River approaching the house.  Mama was still working at the Harrington’s and I knew Daddy was outside sweeping the porch.  Hurriedly, I slipped on my shoes and left my room to stand near the entrance of the stairs.

        “Hello, Reverend Smith,” River greeted my father who stood with his hands propped up on top of the broom stick.  “How you doin’?”

        “Blessed,” Daddy answered.  “And you?”

        Politely, River smiled and said, “Same here.  Is Jocelyn home, sir?”

         “Jocelyn!” Daddy called.  “Jocelyn!”

        To prevent them from knowing that I was snooping, I waited a minute before I began walking down the stairs.  I walked with my head down, for I did not want to take the risk of meeting River’s eyes.  His eyes had so much control that I could feel them staring into me through the screen door as he stood on the first step of the stairs leading to the porch.  The instant that I walked out onto the porch, my father kissed me on the forehead.  Once I looked up at him, I realized that he was giving River the death stare as he did this.  He turned to go back into the house and I was left alone with River.  I still refused to meet his eyes and I wrapped my arms around myself, protectively.

        “Hey,” he greeted me with his hands in the pockets of his jeans.  It looked like he was fighting an impulse.

        “Hello,” I replied quietly.

        “Jocelyn,” he sighed and rubbed the back of his neck.  “I’mma idiot for the way I acted towards you.  Your feelings deserved more respect than that.”  It fell silent.  “I ain’t had a drink since I met you, but then Doug came to see me and he tempted me with a whole pack of beers.  It was like ol’ times when I was with the gang and I drank like my old man did.  I was in denial back then though.”

        I took in his sincerity and I felt the courage to finally look him in the eyes.  The moment I finally looked at him, he suppressed a smile due to the stern look on my face.

        “Are you sorry?” I asked.

        “I cain’t even tell you how sorry I am,” he apologized.  River came closer to me as he said, “And I swear that I never ever wanna see ya walk away from me like that again.”

            He was standing directly in front of me now and I had to look up to meet his eyes.

            “It scares me, River,” I declared.  “Will you promise not to drink? 

             River placed his hands on my cheeks and leaned down.  “I promise.”

            I could not hold back my smile.  “Good.”

            “There’s that pretty smile that I missed so much.  Come here.”  River pulled me into him and enclosed his arms around me before lifting me up.  He held me like that for a minute and then he placed me back on my feet.  “My ma wants to meet you.  Can you come with me?”