Jocelyn's River: Chapter 19

Six goddamn years! I had waited six years to have her again. We belonged to each other. Jocelyn set all my desires on fire when we experienced ecstasy hours ago. Letting the fire out, we both came, collapsed on the bed and she lay in my arms. We panted uncontrollably and I breathlessly told her I loved her and she looked up at me and returned the promising words.

I woke up and expected to have her curled up next to me, but she wasn't. The aroma of food in the air answered my question and raised my spirits. She was cooking breakfast. The thought of this made me chuckle. I liked it! Grinning and stiffing the air, I sat up in bed. Just as I did, she came into the room with a plate of food in her hand and a glass of orange juice in the other. She wore only the white button down that I took off last night. My eyes hungrily roamed over her bare legs. 'Sexy,' I thought and licked my lips.

"Hm-m-m," I resounded as she made her way over to my side of the bed. "Good morning."

"Good morning," she said sweetly as she sat the glass of orange juice on the nightstand.

With the plate still in her hand, she climbed on top of me, straddling my hips. I placed my hands on her hips and leaned in to peck her on the mouth.

"I made you some breakfast."

"I see," I replied and looked down at the delectable plate of hash browns topped with cheddar cheese and bacon bits. "Looks good."

Taking the fork, she scooped up the hash browns and held the fork up in front of my face. I opened up my mouth and she slid the fork inside. As I chewed, she waited for a critique.

"It's delicious, baby," I assured her with my mouth full. I leaned forward to kiss her on the lips again.

"Thanks," she uttered. "So, how are you feeling this morning?"

I sighed, leaning my head back on the headboard. "Last night was somethin' else. Millions of feelins' attacked me and....and then you showed up."

Jocelyn dropped her eyes down to the plate of food while scooping up another forkful. She held it in front of my mouth.

"I had some time to think it over and I couldn't wait any longer," she explained. I opened my mouth for her to slip the fork in. "I had to tell you before you went back."

"And I'm glad you did. I'm not lookin' forward to it, to be honest. I don't wanna leave you."

"And I don't want you to go," she admitted with her head titled to the side. She pouted.

I lifted my hand and placed it on her cheek, rubbing my thumb back and forth against it.

"I'm comin' back for you," I told her. "Don't you dare go thinkin' that I won't."

She groaned. "Please don't make promises you can't keep, River. Just don't."

"I love you. It's my mission to finish this war and get back to you. Have some faith in me."

Looking into my eyes, she nodded her head and mouthed 'okay'. I knew it was going to take some time for her to gain faith and assurance. Who could during this time of war anyway?

We sat this way without speaking for a few minutes and she continued to feed me until the food was gone off the plate. She sat it on the nightstand with the empty glass of orange juice. The emotion in her eyes let me know that she was pondering and I figured something important was on her smart mind.