Jocelyn's River: Chapter 7

“Come in,” Daddy called from inside his office.

            I turned the doorknob and entered, almost cautiously.  Distracting him while he was in his office was unacceptable.  I knew this ever since I was a little girl.  Thankfully, he was just reading the newspaper. 

        Books on theology sat on a bookshelf to the left.  He earned a bachelor’s degree in theology at a college in Illinois.  My mother worked at a jewelry store in Illinois before Bryson was born.  Ironically, he met my mother while looking for a proposal ring for his girlfriend. 

        Pictures of family members were placed on his desk.  A photo of Bryson caught my attention.  I picked it up and stared at it.  He was about fifteen years old in that photo and his eyes were full of innocence and vitality

            “Hey, baby girl,” Daddy greeted me without looking up.

            “Hi, Daddy,” I responded before placing the photo back down.  I leaned against the desk next to him.

            “What can I do for you?” he asked after looking up from the newspaper and taking his reading glasses off.

            I shrugged, placed a hand on his shoulder, and squeezed it.  “I just wanted to talk to my father, that’s all.”

            “Is that right?” he laughed.  “It’s all right, Princess.  I know why you’re here.”

            I played it cool and folded my arms.  “And why is that?”

            “Because of River,” he answered.  I didn’t say a word.  “I’ve been thinkin’ a lot about it.  Your mama won’t stay off my behind.  I must say that he was pretty darn bold to stand up to me like that.  I might be wrong about him.”

            Immediately, I started beaming.  “So…am I allowed to see him?  Are you going to give me my bike back?”

            He groaned and pinched the bridge of his nose.  “Dear Heavenly Father, help me.  I pray I won’t regret this.” he mumbled.  “Yes, Jocelyn.  I will have the bike for you in the morning.”

            I nearly squealed with excitement.  “Thank you, Daddy!”

            “Not so fast!  If that boy does anything to hurt my little angel or if persecution gets out of hand…I declare that we are moving back to Chicago.”

            “But---” I started.

            “No.” he cut me off, firmly.  “That’s the way it’s gonna be.  Am I clear?”

            “Yes, sir,” I nodded respectfully.

            “Come here,” he demanded and held his arms out to me.

            We embraced each other and I gave him a kiss on the cheek.  “I love you so much, Daddy.”

            “And I love you too,” he said.

            As soon as I awoke the next day, I looked out my window.  Lo’ and behold, my mint green bicycle was awaiting me on the porch.  I became so eager that I nearly jumped over my bed to get to my closet.  Once I slipped on a pair of peach colored capris pants, and a sleeveless white blouse that I tied at the waist, I went on my way.  It took me fifteen minutes to get to Jameson’s Auto Repair Shop and when I did, two men were chatting in front of an open garage where a Ford Victoria lingered with its hood up.  One of the men wore a grey mechanic jumpsuit, and I knew right away that he was River’s uncle.  He was stout and stood at average height with auburn hair.  Stubble outlined his chin and slightly bushy were the defining words for his eyebrows.