xix

- f l a s h b a c k -

f i r s t   p e r s o n   f o c u s

---

I was so scared, so afraid, so absolutely disgusted, that I didn't even want to leave my room.

I had no idea what had happened.

It was like something switched inside me, but I was suddenly so much more careful.

And I got so tired of being so careful so quickly.

All of my regular activities were thrown away.

Playing piano? Gone.

Football? Gone.

Dancing? Gone.

It was such a pity. I suddenly couldn't eat. Food was disgustingly filled with germs. My body was dirty. I was officially paranoid.

And the hardest thing of this situation? Watching my family being pushed away by my own will. Watching as my mother tried to reach out for me, and having to throw objects at her so she wouldn't touch me because- who knows if she washed her hands?

I see things that nobody else sees. And I hate it.

The last thing I remember was passing out of dehydration. 

After that I was brought to the doctors and to the psychiatrist, only to be told that I was an extreme case of germophobia.

So, don't think it's stupid, because it's not.

Imagine having to wash your bedsheets every single night, and closing every single window, and putting on gloves every day, and having to be oh-so careful about everything you do. 

And it's terrible because it's all just an illusion. You ask yourself how dirty your house is, when it's actually not. And you can't be in relationships because the person wants to cuddle and you just can't. And often enough- the person you like just wants you for sex and you can't bring yourself to do it. You can't. Because your a gay, virgin, germaphobe that nobody will understand.

Right?

-pjm