Chapter 26

Elise

"Are you ready?" Mavis asked placing a candle on the table in between us.

"I'm nervous." I admitted.

"Take your time, Elise." She said and I nodded inhaling deeply.

"Ready?" She asked again after sometime.

"Yes." I told her.

"Do it." She said and I closed my eyes.

I tried to focus on the candle that was in front of me, trying to light it up with my mind. In my head, I pictured it burning brightly and when I opened my eyes, nothing happened. The candle was lifeless.

"Nothing's happening." I said to her.

"Try again. Focus completely on the candle. Focus on something that lights up a fire inside you." She told me and I closed my eyes again.

I tried to focus only on the candle. I tried to bring life to it. My whole body was focusing on the candle. In my head, a flame popped up and when I opened my eyes, the candle was still not lit. Anger boiled in me.

"Why is it not happening?" I closed my eyes again.

This time, I imagined that the whole room was on fire. My body temperature started rising as anger filled in. I opened my eyes to see the candle was burning brightly. I felt triumph.

"Now try blowing it out." She told me and I filled air in my mouth.

"Not like that. With your powers." She told me and I nodded.

In my head, I imagined blowing out the candle. I focused completely on the candle and pictured it as lifeless again. When i opened my eyes, the candle was still burning brightly. I shut my eyes and imagined blowing it out using wind as a source. I felt a cool breeze blowing in the room and when I opened my eyes, the candle was still burning brightly.

Angry, I focused on the candle again. This time, I imagined sucking out all the oxygen from the room. No oxygen, no fire. Soon my breathing got heavier as my body temperature rose and I opened up my eyes to see that the candle was blown out but Mavis sat in front of me holding her throat.

"What are you doing?" She asked breathing heavily.

I closed my eyes and focused on the air to be back in the room and cool breeze started blowing in. Our breathing became normal.

"What was that?" She asked breathing normally.

"The candle was not blowing out so I thought that maybe if I try to remove the oxygen from the air, I'll be able to to put it out." I said innocently.

"And you could do that?" She asked with confusion.

"I don't know. I just imagined and focused on it." I told her.

"Don't do that again. It's dangerous." She said and I nodded my head.

We tried it again. I tried to light up the candle again with my mind and put it out with a less dangerous method, that was imagining. It took a few tries before I got a hold of how it's done. I light up the candle again, this time, easily with my mind as I realised that if I use anger it lights up.

"I want you to bring your hand near to the flame." Mavis said.

"I did not sign up to burn my hand." I told her.

"It won't burn. Just do as I say." She told me.

"I have trust issues but, okay." I said and brought my hand closer to the flame.

The flame started dancing in the direction of my hand and I could feel the heat. I moved my hand further away and it went back to its previous state. Then I brought my hand closer to it again and it turned in my direction like if my hand was attracting it. I brought my hand so close that it almost touched the flame and immediately, my hand was caught on fire.