8-MY CHOICE

Diane's POV
      It had been two days since Mr Carter's 'proposal'. Things at work weren't going that well. We were having a hard time finding new clients.

I got back home. It was already 5:00pm. I knew Liza wasn't going to be at home. She was having a girl's night out with her sister,Sam.

I settled on my couch with a nutella jar. I wasn't in the mood to watch any TV shows or do anything. I just sat there sulking. The door bell rang and I got up to answer it.

It was my family. They looked so happy.

"Mum,Dad, Adrian" I said as I gave each of them a hug.

We all sat in my living room.

"What are you guys doing here this late?" I asked them as I offered them some cookies and freshly squeezed orange juice.

Yea, Liza always has delicious cookies in the kitchen. What can I say,it is one of the pro of having a best friend who can bake.

"Anny, why didn't you tell us? For how long were you planning on keeping this a secret?" My mum asked,she was grinning from ear to ear.

What is she talking about?

"You didn't bother to let me know" Adrian added.

"I have no idea what you guys are referring to"I told them.

My Dad gave me a quizzical look. "You don't have to hide it Anny,  John Carter came to visit. He told us about your wedding plans"My dad said. "But why didn't you tell us? "

That fucking retard did what?

I stood up in shock. "He said you guys agreed to get married in a month"my mum spoke.

I couldn't say a thing. I mean, what was I to say? They looked so happy.

"Oh, I wasn't planning on telling you that, yet. It hasn't been decided"I decided to play along for dad's sake.

My dad and Adrian were watching baseball in the living room. I was in my room with mum.

"I have to talk to you mum"I told her. She seemed to notice that something was wrong because her expression changed.

"About what dear? "She quaked. She led me to sit on the bed and settled beside me.

"Mum, I don't love him. I don't even know him. That guy is a psycho. I ran into him once and we had an ugly exchange. He wants an open marriage. He threatened me"I explained.

My mum shifted on the bed. She stood up and slowly opened the door. She peered into the living room, probably checking on my dad and Adrian. She returned and sat beside me after locking the door.

"Anny,  you have to get married to him"Her words shocked me. She was staring at me, unfazed.

"Mum,  i thought we were over this"I snapped.

"What do you want me to say? Leave him? That man is the only solution we have, he can take care of our debts. He offered you an open marriage, didn't he? All you have to do is get married on paper. Your dad's heart is getting weaker by the day. He spends everyday thinking of ways to rid you of this burden. This is the only option we have now."

"You said I didn't have to get married. How do you expect me to live with that man? "I angrily blurted. I tried my best to keep my composure but mum wasn't helping.

"Don't be selfish, Anny, Think about your  dad and Adrian "

"I'm selfish? I only thought of you guys for the past 5 years and that's why I work so hard. But what do I get in return? Tons and tons of debts. I'm tired of all this"I lashed out.