CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Narrator

Winston didn't know what to say or what to do as the chaos began. Panic had filled him and even more fear had wrapped around his heart when he realized Gabriel was not in a position to offer any help and his own mate was far from home.

This person, with Elijah's face was scary and he had all the power. Winston, for the first time in his life felt defeated before he thought of fighting.

-We need you... He whispered into the link between himself and his mate as he watched from the porch the disaster which played out.

-What's wrong? The worry his mate felt touched him and he only hoped hr wasn't leading his one true love into a trap.

-There's a man...he looks just like Elijah, h-

-I'm on my way. Winston could tell he knew what was happening and at that he gathered those he could and lead them to the emergency bunker, hoping and praying that his mate would be alright without him because there was no way he could fight, not against someone with the face of his beloved Alpha.

"How could this happen?" A woman said drawing Winston's attention. "What kind of monster would do this!?" She wailed clutching someone to her chest. I felt my heart break at the sight of her unmoving child.

"That man....he just..he..." A boy rocked back and forth and whimpered. Winston walked over to the boy, his heart breaking as he recalled his own children. He pulled out his phone then and dialled them.

"Papa?" Marshal asked blankly and Winston couldn't help but feel relieved at the sound of laughter in the background. They had all gone to a birthday party, Trent,Travis,Scoot and Marshall and he was glad to know they were safe.

"You cannot come home." He said seriously. "I can't really explain right now, but it isn't safe."

"Wha-"

"Listen to me." Winston sighed as hr held the crying boy. "Tell the rest, it isn't safe. We will call you when it is okay...for now...stay where you are. Do you hear me?" He commanded with a growl to which his son whimpered over the line in submission.

"Yes,papa."

"Tell Kathryn too, and Claude." He said knowing that both of them had been dragged out of the house on a double date. He hoped Claude wouldn't try to come to the rescue, because now wasn't the time to shoe anyone that he deserved to be Alpha.

"I hate him..." A man grumbled. "I hate him so much."

Winston could see as he looked around that what ever love and trust Elijah had among the Greyhound Mountain pack even in his absence, was slowly fading away because of an imposter.

Elijah thrashed in his bed unable to wake. He had spent the last three years since seeing Alexander asleep. He was plagued with his history, reliving ever choice, every mistake. He was in his own personal hell.

He watched as thousand's died at his hand out of his own anger and his conscious wept.

He gazed into the faces of friends as he betrayed them. His own eyes were wide with guilt as he stabbed his friend, robbing him of a chance at happiness, at a chance of a family. He watched Gabriel and he raised his hand to his forehead, altering the memory so that he saw a woman instead.