CHAPTER THREE

Dante

Music played but I couldn't really tell what genre it was or if it was good or not, I was too captivated by the handsome man in my arms. He  grinned merrily at me, his eyes shining and happy. I couldn't help smile back as I committed his features to memory.

Our movements were flawless,slow and intimate. It felt like everyone had their eyes on us as we circled the dance floor in each others arms, completely lost in our own bliss.

"I'm very happy right now." He whispered to me, his hold on my shoulder tightening before he pulled me closer. "I'm the happiest newlywed in the world." I couldn't say anything, I could only stare and wonder how.

How did I get so lucky as to have such a handsome man all to myself, how had I managed to steal his heart and have him commit to me so openly,wholeheartedly... It was beyond my comprehension and I loved it.

I took his face between my hands and he leaned into my touch, not taking his eyes off of mine, I leaned down and he pushed up on his toes to help close the gap between us faster.

His lips were so warm, so welcoming and through them, I felt it. The burning passion, the desire to have more of me, I could feel it...the love, pure and genuinely mine. He loved me, completely despite it all, he didn't want to lose me, he wanted to love me and only me.

Just as I loved him...

I gasped and blinked rapidly while licking my lips. The blood rushed through my body, filling me with colour, I felt human now that I had fed. I let the human go and she stumbled and shook her head. I didn't take enough to kill her, just enough to get me going and nothing more. I licked her wound before looking deep into her eyes. She blinked, dazed and tilted her head.

"Go home, forget you ever saw me." I told her softly and she blinked before her eyes seemed to cloud over and she looked around before heading home, walking as though she hadn't just been harassed by the likes of a vampire. I reached into my pocket for my handkerchief. I looked down at the red fabric with my initials sewn into it along with another set. I sighed and cleaned my mouth of any residual blood.

I clenched my teeth before I began my walk, slow and without any real destination, my hands in my pockets, I stared at the moon.

Gabriel, the name flashed through my old mind and an emptiness filled me. I missed him, my one true love. So desperately that I almost believed what my eyes had forced me to see. I thought to the boy I had saved from my brother's minions, the boy who rambled on and on about feeling lost and without purpose on the side of a highway. I chuckled, he looked like the very man my body, mind and soul longed for. He looked just like my Gabriel.

I shook my head, but he wasn't, he couldn't be Gabriel, not my Gabriel. He died, a very long time ago. I sighed and stared at the moon as a single tear fell down my cheek, I snorted.

"Oh, Dante, look at you," I mumbled. "You cried years ago and even now, you manage to shed a tear for a love long lost." I shook my head then and bent it down to stare at the concrete. "Death, would I find you there,my love?" I mumbled to myself, "oh, I have spent so many years pondering this."

Which was completely true, years I have thought of ending it, finally finding peace and accepting death, and I have tried, each attempt stopped of course by my many followers. They were my only family after Gabriel. The Oni clan was all I had once upon a time, while half of them have gone rogue since my brothers death, the other half still stood by me.

I had to admit, I was getting tired if their dedication.

"Old friend, must you wallow so obviously?" I paused in my walk and looked up to see him in the nearest tree. Raphael.

"What do you want?" I sighed then, placing both my hands into my pockets. Raphael came down effortlessly and strolled beside me looking up into the sky.

"I miss you!" He declared and wrapped a strong arm around my shoulder while I rolled my eyes. "Must it be such a burden to do so?"

"You make me so tired, I can't with you." He laughed his loud almost hypnotically pleasant laugh. He went quiet then and signed.

"Have you seen him?" I glanced at my friend, his dark eyes shining. "It isn't him, Dante, you should know better." He said making me shake my head.

"I know... I was only...checking up on him." I stopped then and sat down. We had walked onto a hill, the view was green even under the darkness of the night, there was a fountain, it's waters silver with the moon.

"And?" I looked over at my friend.

"He is upset." I said looking down between my legs and frowned. "He has lost so much in such a short time. He begged me to kill him, can you believe it?"

"That is unfortunate." I took a deep breath then. "This only shows it isn't your Gabriel." He chuckled. "If I remember correctly, he nearly killed you for trying to eat him." I bumped his shoulder and growled.

"Shut up." Raphael only laughed and I smiled fondly at the memory, feeling a sharp pang in my chest.

"I'm sorry," he said then and placed his hand on my shoulder. "It'll get easier." He said gently as we locked eyes.

"But he smells just like him," I whispered feeling the urge to be near him. "And I want to see him again...right now." Raphael sighed.

"I never said it would be fast, but, it will get easier...one day," he shrugged a shoulder and I nodded and we kept silent from there, basking in the moon light.

I woke in my bed, the sun beaming down my face and the first thing on my mind was Gabriel. The young teenage replica of my one true love, seemed imprinted on my mind. I sat up and jumped out of my bed nude before heading for the shower.

After as I dried, Raphael came in, jot caring that I was in my birthday suit.

"Dante, I need to tell you something." I looked at his wild gaze and furrowed my brows as I tugged on some pants. I didn't like underwear much.

"What is it?"

"Vladimir's followers..." He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "They are stirring." I blinked at him and folded my arms over my chest.

"What do they want?" I asked getting to the point and Raphael seemed to hold back a smirk.

"Your death."