Chapter 17

Jose's POV

I pulled the car up to the curb in front of our houses and kill the engine. I then look over at Eve. She is looking out the window, her face concentrated, her thoughts far away.

At that moment she looks so beautiful.  The moonlight highlights her delicate features. Her eyebrows are furrowed slightly as whatever shes thinking about must be bothering her. She nibbles absentmindedly on her bottom lip and plays with the silver band on her right index finger.

"Hey," I say, pulling her from whatever rabbit hole her mind has wandered down. "We're home."

Her eyes slightly widen as she looks around startled to find we are, in fact, home.

She let's out a breath, "Oh."

"You okay?" I question.

Today had been fun right? She had seemed to be enjoying herself. Up until.. until we almost.. I couldn't think about it. Was she looking like this because she regretted it? Or was it because of the call from her mom? She had mentioned a girl named Jasmine.. How whatever had happened wasn't her mother's fault. Was that what was bothering her? I prayed silently that it was the latter.

She sighed and forced a smile, "I'll be okay."

I furrowed my brow. That's not good enough. She should be happy. Her features were made for happiness not sadness. I wanted her to be happy. I opened my mouth to protest when she quickly interjected.

"Look Jose," she sighed, "Today was fun but.. you don't know me. I barely know you. I mean this in the least mean way possible but I'm not here to make friends. I'm here because my mother is forcing me to be."

"Doesn't mean you can't make the most of it," I whisper.

Her eyes meet mine and search my face for some answer to a question she hasn't voiced. She opened her mouth to speak again but becomes distracted by the porch light coming on on her house. Her mother opens the front door and leans in the frame, a waiting her daughter. Eve sighs and turns to face me once more.

"Thank you... for tonight," she allows a small smile to decorate her face, "It was nice."

"You're welcome," I smile back before she climbs out of the car and heads for her mother.

They embrace each other then look back at me, exchanging words inaudible to me at this distance. Then they both wave to me, I give a slight wave of my hand in return, and disappear into the house.

After entering my house I go straight up to my bedroom to change after briefly greeting my sister, who was laying on her bed in her room across from mine, texting.

I quickly shower and brush my teeth, relishing in the minty taste it leaves behind before throwing myself on my bed. I begin scrolling through instagram awaiting the sweet bliss that is sleep, when my phone begins to ring. I glance at the caller ID to see Eve's name displayed.

Huh. Kinda late to be calling. It was 2:35 now. I shrug and answer anyway.

"Hello?"

I wasn't greeted back but could just barely over hear Eve saying, "Mom, please just let me take the bottle away.. she wouldn't want you doing this."

"It's my fault.." I could hear her mother, Eidith, responding in a broken, shaking voice.

"No," her voice held so much sadness. "No it's not."

Shit. I don't think she meant to call me. Which means I shouldn't be listening to this.

"Mom!" She suddenly yelled. "Mom stop!"

Then the line went dead.

I started at my phone in alarm, not sure what my next move should be. I mean I wasn't supposed to hear any of that but something definitely sounded wrong and I'd hate myself if something happened and I didn't do anything.

Shit, I cursed as I redial her number.

One ring. Three rings. Five rings. Voicemail. I begin pacing the room as I redial her number.

She picks up at the last second, her voice like bliss to my ears, "Jose?"

Crap. How do I say this without sounding like a creep?

"You called me.." I manage to say.

"I did?" She questioned absentmindedly.

"Yeah.. I... Uh.. I heard you.." I trailed.

"Oh." She breathed, realizing what I meant. "How much did you hear?"

"Not a lot," I lie.

She sighs, her voice exasperated, "Please just, forget whatever you think you heard okay? I don't need this."

"Eve.." I start, trying to come up with something to say, something to get her to open up to me.

"Goodbye Jose," she says before hanging up on me.

I lay on my bed replaying our conversation over and over again in my head. Replaying the conversation I overheard between her and her mother. Trying to figure out what I should have said different. Should I go over there? No. She had asked me to leave her alone.

I just want to help, was my last thought before I fell asleep.