Chapter 12

Jose's POV

The final bell rings and I pack up my things into my backpack, leaving my government class behind.

As I'm heading to the football locker room I see Zane flirting with his next victim. Her back is too me but I can see that he's in full on charm mode, smirking his ass off and leaning close to her, one had pressed against the locker behind her to support his body weight.

I remember that I'm supposed to thank him for bailing Eve and me out yesterday so I head in his direction. As I get closer I can hear her voice. My jaw tenses as I realize whose pants he's trying to get into.

"So thanks for your help earlier," Eve says.

Zane smirks, "No problem babe."

Eve laughs, "So I would say that I'm sorry I punched you but I'm not and I'm trying this new thing where I don't lie about anything."

Zane's jaw ticks and I laugh throwing my arm around Eve.

"Aww did the wittle girlie hurt the big bad running backs feelings?" I say as if I'm talking to a toddler.

"Watch it, Mendoza." He says shooting daggers my way.

I sigh.

"Aye it was just a joke man. I came over to thank you about earlier. It was pretty cool what you did, even if you did only do it for selfish reasons."

I glance down at Eve and back to Zane to show him I know what he's up to.

Zane stares back at me, a sort of confused expression on his face. A cross between appreciation, surprise and apprehension. He opens his mouth to say something, paused, then closed it, choosing simply to nod his head at me.

"I'll see you at practice Jose," he turned, disappearing into the crowd.

I turned to face Eve who was still staring after Zane with a puzzled expression on her face.

"What was that all about?" She questioned.

Do I tell her? I mean she must see it right? She's only been here for a day and she has the school's entire male population wrapped around her pinky.

Even Paul, who had our same English literature class, had let her copy all of his notes because she had sat with her earbuds in all period. She had been majorly rude to him earlier. Paul should hate her. But she's too pretty to hate.

She really doesn't know, I reason. She doesn't seem like the type of girl that doesn't know she's pretty. No Eve is the type of girl that just doesn't know the effect that she has on everyone.

She probably didn't even notice every girl in the hallway trying to murder her with their eyes because she was getting Zane's attention. She probably doesn't notice every guy looking at her with lustful gazes that make me want to punch them in the face.

What am I doing? I sound like I have some type of claim over her which I totally don't. In fact if she found out I thought that she would probably despise me.

What has this beautiful seductress done to me?

"Nothing," I say forcing a smile. "Just some football stuff."

I can't tell her. I mean how much of a weirdo would I look like? I've only known her for less than a day and I'm acting all protective boyfriend over her.

Wait did I say boyfriend?! I mean friend! That's a boy... A boy friend... Not that I don't want to be her boyfriend.. In fact I would love to be her boyfriend. Then I'd finally get to kiss her. I'd get to hold her perfectly thin waist and pull her close to me. I'd be able to taste and get familiar with her perfect pink lips. I glanced down at the lips in question. Oh god.. I want to kiss them so bad.. I wonder if they taste like cherries? Or maybe strawberries. Yeah she seems like a strawberries kind of girl.

Its probably unhealthy how many times I have thought about kissing her. I mean we are practically strangers.

But I don't want to be, I decide. I want to know everything about her. I wanna know her favorite color, how she likes her eggs in the morning, if she drinks tea or coffee and if she drinks coffee then I want to know how she takes her coffee. I want to know if her hair is naturally straight or if she straightens it. I want to know what kind of music she listens to, if she watches action movies or loves romantic comedies. I want to know if she'd rather read a book or watch TV. I want to know what makes her tick and what spots are most ticklish for her. I want to know what she looks like when her eyes light up and she's smiling that kind of reckless smile you have when you don't give a damn about anything and your just happy with the now. I want to know and I will know.

"Hey," I say stuttering nervously. "I have to meet up with Coach Cap right now but do you want to hang out later? I know this really good Thai place. I mean that is if you like Thai food. Do you like Thai food? Because if you don't we could totally eat somewhere else. Unless-"

I'm cut off as Eve places her hand over my mouth,a small smile on her face.

"I love Thai food."

I sigh in relief. "Okay, well I'll pick you up around 5?"

Her smile grows bigger, "Okay. See you then Jose."

She turns and begins to walk away. I'm smiling so big my cheeks hurt. She said yes!! Wait shit!

"Eve!" I yell after her.

She turns, rolling her eyes at me.

"Don't call me that."

"I don't have your address," I say ignoring her.

Sighing, she walks back towards me, pulling a sharpie out of her bag. Then she grabs my hand and begins to write on it. When she's finished she let's my hand drop.

"Let me know when your on your way," she says then walks away again.

I stare after her mesmerized. I look at my phone to check the time. 2:30. Only two and a half more hours.

I curse under my breath and take off running in the opposite direction that Eve went. Cap's going to have my ass for being late to practice. I go into the locker room, finally glancing down at what Eve wrote on my hand.

Its not her address.

Instead written on my hand are ten digits. Under the numbers are Eve's name with a heart.

She put a heart.

I smile to myself and being to change for practice. Tonight's gonna be interesting.