Chapter 11

~ Jose's POV ~

"WHO THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?!"

I laugh at Eve's reaction glad that I've distracted her, then I realize with the look she's giving me that's she's probably thinking of a million different ways she could castrate me with the paper clip Jay has laying on the table and my laughter dies.

Oh fuck.. I just infuriated the Kitty in to the god damn Lion... Someone protect my balls.

Eve starts to slowly rise, nostrils flaring. You could practically see the steam coming out of her ears.

"Chill out it was just a Kit Kat," Brian tries to come to my rescue.

She whips her head towards him, giving him a death glare that would make Lucifer himself squirm in his seat.

"Just a Kit Kat?" She hissed.

"JUST a Kit Kat?!"

"Aww is the Kitty getting her claws out?" Brian cooed.

Cece smacked his arm, "Are you trying to get itself killed?"

Eve wrinkled her nose at Brian in disgust.

"He's not worth my time."

With that she packed her stuff up and stomped off in a flurry.

Wait what?!

I got up running out the cafeteria after her. I catch up with her down the hall and call her name but she keeps walking. Finally I grab her wrist, turning her to face me.

"Look I'm sorry if I offended you but you don't gotta leave," I say being sincere.

She stares at my converse clad feet, hesitating, before she finally responds.

"It's not that, I'm just really on edge right now."

I see her shoulders sag in exhaustion. My heart hurts for her. She's hurting that much I can tell.

"Do you want to talk about it with me?"

She scoffs, finally looking at me. "Why would I spill my deepest darkest secrets to someone I just met?"

I stare at her. Her grey blue eyes are wild, frantic even, searching mine as if I might hold all the answers.

Is this what I've been anticipating all day? The place I was supposed to be? The thing I was supposed to do? Was I supposed to be right here right now to make this girls smile change from a pained, forced one to a genuine, beautiful one?

Yes, I decide.

Even if it wasn't then who the hell cared? I felt like this was where I needed to be. I need to make her happy. I'd do anything to make her happy.

"Why not?" I breathe, waiting her response. Hoping she won't laugh at me or run away again. But she doesn't. She does something that I wasn't expecting her to do. Something I would pay anything to see her do again.

She smiles.

We sit together in the hallway, backs pressed up against the cold metal of the lockers. I have my legs stretched out in front of me and she has hers pulled up to her chest, arms wrapped around them as if holding herself together.

At one point she begins to lean on me, her head resting on my shoulder, my arm wrapped around her, holding her close. She tells me everything. She tells me about her father's affair and her parents divorce. She tells me about her and her mother leaving him, how her mother was lost and she had to take on most of the responsibility. She tells me about her friends and her mother springing the move on her. She tells me how she's frustrated and wants to go home.

And I listen.

I listen to everything, not judging her and just loving the sound of her voice. I let her talk not wanting her to move from our position, but alas all good things must come to an end.

"Hey," Jay says as she slides down next to us.

Eve automatically sits up and I sigh in disappointment.

"Hi."

"How are you?" Jay is concerned I can tell.

Eve gives her a small smile. "I'm okay."

"Alright enough of the mushiness!" Brian calls from the end of the hall as he and Cece approach.

Cece smacks his arm. "Cut it out!"

"Aww but you love it!" Brian smirks and kisses her on the cheek.

CeCe's eyes bulge and she smacks him harder. "What the fuck Brian?!"

But he just chuckles and runs over to us.

"Come on mopies. Lunch is almost over and we need to scidaddle on to class to beat traffic."

We all look at each other and laugh. I get up offering a hand to Eve. She smiles grabbing my hand and lifting herself up.

"Ready?" I ask.

She nods her head. "Ready."