Chapter 35

2 Years ago, after Sutter

I almost have my leg in the car to lower my body into the backseat, but suddenly a warm hand grabs the top of my arm, and starts pulling me back out.

"You're not actually getting ready to ride with them, are you?" Asks a voice, and when I turn to look at who it is, my heart stutters. I swear its like I can actually feel it miss a beat under my skin.

Even with how drunk I am, any reminder of him is a kick to the gut. Another slash on my already tattered heart. Is it not bad enough that I already can't get him out of my head, but now I'm having to also see things in my everyday life that remind me of him also?

"Gotta get home somehow." I slur back, and hope the devastation I feel on the inside also isn't written across my face.

I've been at this party for close to three hours now, maybe more. Nadine thinks I'm at home, so she wasn't here to give me a ride home, and I know Jesse and Bobby would beat my ass if they ever found out I was coming here. I had no choice but to take a ride home from the only people who offered me one. I knew he wasn't a safe choice, but I honestly just didn't care enough to find anyone else.

Cross's handsome face looks worried as he watches the guy who is going to be giving me a ride home drop his keys, and nearly falls over when going to pick them up. "Let me give you a ride home." He says, and I can tell its not a question, but more of him telling me.

For the first time, I notice a girl standing behind him, and she doesn't look happy to hear he's offering me a ride home. Clearly she had other plans in mind with him, that didn't involve me. This girl is beautiful too, but I can tell from her stance that she's from The Cove, and those girls are tough in a whole different meaning, and not the kind you want to get on their bad side.

"You look like your hands already full for the night, I'll be fine." I tell him, eyeing the girl behind him so he knows exactly what I'm referring to.

He looks back at the girl over his shoulder and gives me a confused look. "She's just a friend?" He says, and I can tell he doesn't see the way she looks at him. If I'm as drunk as I am and can pick up on them, how doesn't he?

"I really don't want to intrude." I try again, not interested to add anymore unwanted drama to my life.

"You're not intruding, and I'm going to give you a ride home." Cross says again, and starts to pull me in the direction where I assume his car is. And this time, I let him pull me away. The drunk guy, Cody, who was going to give me a ride home, has tried to stick his key in the door handle to unlock his door at least four times, and has missed every time. He doesn't look like he's getting out of here anytime soon.

When Cross drops my arm finally, we're in front of a black, shiny new sports car. He opens the passenger door for me, and I decide without being told that I'll place myself in the back, and let his other friend have the front seat. I nearly bust my face trying to get into the small space, and I hear Cross mutter something under his breath before reaching into the car and helping me get situated in the seat. He then reaches for the seatbelt and latches it into place, before backing out. The other girl looks like she's ready to launch me out of the car, but as soon as Cross turns around, she plasters on a fake smile before getting into the front seat.

As soon as Cross closes her door, she instantly grabs the latch on the bottom of the seat and pushes it back, causing it to ram into my shins roughly and push my legs up. I'm too drunk though, and don't really feel anything other than the pressure from it. She lets out a satisfied laugh, like she's done something she's proud of. I just roll my eyes and ignore her, knowing she'll be gone before long.