Chapter 19

Sutter's POV

My dad and I pull up to the house around two in the afternoon, both of us in high spirits. But for very different reasons.

He's happy because coach said if I play right during practice and keep my grades up, I can be starting quarter back again. Which is great news, and it makes me happy too.

But the real reason that has me walking whistling like a man in show tunes, is because Lilly and I slept together last night. It was literally just sleeping, but we held each other all night. She showed me a side of herself that she keeps hidden from the rest of the world.

A side that isn't exactly beautiful, but something she trusted me with anyway. Which hopefully meant that I was gaining her trust back, and that I could finally get my girl back.

We've only been back for about two weeks, but I swear it feels like longer. And I'd gladly fight for her for the rest of my life, if that's what I had to do to prove my love to her.

But somewhere deep inside her, she knows that I have loved her this whole time. I left because I was lost and scared I would never be found again, scared of letting Lilly down, scared of losing someone else I loved with my whole heart.

I lost her anyway because of my own stupidity, and it's something that I'll never forget. It's also something that I'll never repeat. I would never leave her again if she would just give me another chance to show her that the love we've always had, is still there and maybe even soaring higher and faster than it was before. If she'll let it.

I jump out of the car as soon as its parked, and practically run up the front porch steps and into my house, anxious to see Lilly. I keep walking, following the voices that I hear talking in the kitchen.

"Where's Lilly?" I ask, when I notice its only my mom and Jo sitting at the table talking.

"She left about two hours ago, said she was going to go see some friends and take her mind off of things." My mom informs me.

"She doesn't have any friends?" It sounds mean, but it's true, she told me so herself. And I'm instantly anxious in another way, because I have no idea where she is or who she's with.

"Sutter Mayfield, do not say those things about that sweet girl. Of course she has friends, she always has."

"No mom," My sister interferes. "He's not lying about it, he's telling the truth. Nadine and all the other girls she used to be friends with on the swim team, they're not really friends anymore."

My mom looks confused. "Why not?" Her voice is filled with concern.

Jo and I don't answer, but instead look at each other. Obviously not sure what we should tell her. I don't want to tell my mom too much, and then her feel like she can't trust me or open up with me anymore.

"She's just had some..troubles since we left. Things changed a little for her, but we're hoping to get her back to normal, and her life." Jo says, giving her the best version of the truth that we can without Lilly letting us know it's okay to tell someone else.

"Well, we will do whatever we can to help her. Your father and I were going to speak with her tonight about her living with us, and maybe getting legal guardianship over her."

"You guys really think you could make that happen?" I question, my heart swelling at the idea of Lilly being taken care of, and under the same roof as me.

My mom shrugs her shoulders. "I'm not sure, but your dad said Paul hasn't left yet, so maybe he can go down there and speak with him about making that happen."