Chapter 22

Lilly's POV

    Sutter and I come upstairs and I'm waiting for him in the bonus room, whatever he has planned for us he has stashed in his bedroom.

    I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thankful for the minute alone though. I have a million different emotions flying through me right now, but most are positive, for a change.

    I'm obviously upset that my parents were so easily persuaded to give me up. Not like I didn't know that already, but them giving me up like that was what really hit the nail on the head. But something Mr. Hal said to me really sat with me, and thats that in the end, they are the only ones missing out on anything.

    I'm seventeen, I have plenty of time to make something out of my life, and turn into a positive. They're both already in their mid forties, the better part of their lives are basically over, and they wasted it on being assholes to me.

    I know I messed up by getting pregnant young, but I took responsibility for my actions. And I did what morally felt right to me. Does that not deserve some type of recognition? But the thing I've also come to realize, is that it wouldn't have mattered even if I never had got pregnant. There always would have been something to yell at me for, to slap me around because of. I was fifteen and making straight As, had state records for swimming, and never did anything to get myself into serious trouble. Even when I was perfect, they still hated me.

    Because Paul and Sarah Matthews were never meant to have kids. They're too selfish and self-absorbed. And unfortunately, I was the one who had to suffer the consequence of them reproducing. But I'm taking advantage of it, and I'm making my life into something that they never could have imagined for a horrible person like me.

    Sutter enters back into the room, interrupting my internal decision. I can't help but appreciate the way he's been treating me lately. He left me, but I can't deny that before all that, he was the only person I felt I could really rely on. And by some miracle, he's come back and still is that person. I'm still upset, and till hurt, but I'm also able to accept again what he used to mean to me.

    What he still means to me, underneath all the rubble of bullshit and heartache.

    "Alright, are you ready for this?" He asks, mysteriously, while holding a bag that is sagging from the weight being held inside it.

    "Lay it on me."

    He reaches into the bag and pulls out two shot glasses, and 2 bottles of flavored vodka.

    The hell?

    "Umm, were getting drunk I assume..?" I'm not against the idea, but extremely surprised that this was the big plan he had for us.

    "Yes, but I have a different reasoning for it."

    "And that would be?"

    "When you drink now, you normally drink as an escape or for some reason to mask a pain or feeling you have, right?"

    I shrug my shoulders, still not seeing where he's going with this. "I guess so."

    "Well tonight, we're not drinking as an escape or to make numb anything. Tonight we're drinking for fun, tonight we're drinking as a girl and a boy, who have reconnected after being separated. We're drinking to celebrate the fact that you're away from those people, and going to be in a environment where you're loved, and looked after properly. We're drinking because this our last summer before we're adults, and because we both deserve it."

    How is it that he's able to turn us drinking into something sweet? "Okay, I can drink to that." I say, and move to grab one of the glasses and bottles.