Part 15

Edgar watched from behind a stone pillar as they dragged your body away. He had only came to congratulate you when he had seen an unknown man approach. He had hung in the shadows and watched the whole scene unfold. He knew the odds. He himself was no spring chicken and he knew that too but he still though if he would be able to at least make some sort of commotion it would attract the likes of Maleficent, Aurora, Philip, Diaval and anyone else who was close enough to hear. That was before the others had approached. They crawled out of the trees like locusts to a meal, each one carrying a weapon. 'The only way for her and myself to survive this is by telling the others.' He thought to himself.

He waits until they had all disappeared into the shadows before running back to the renewed ballroom. He runs straight into Diaval and drags him aside "wait here." He whispers before running off to find Maleficent, and dragging her to the same place he dragged Diaval. Aurora and Philip approach them when they see the small huddle.

"What's going on?" Aurora asks eyeing Edgar curiously.

"Follow me, all of you." He whispers and walks through the ballroom doors and into one of the many empty rooms.

"What is the meaning of this." Asks Philip slowly grown frustrated.

"I didn't want to make a fuss in front of all the guests."

"Well, you're doing an amazing job." Says Maleficent "What do you need to tell us?"

"It's queen (f/n), she-"

"Where has she gotten to while we are on the subject, shouldn't she hear this?" Interrupts Diaval.

"That's what I'm trying to tell you. I went out to congratulate her when I saw a rather odd man approaching her. I thought nothing of it and that's when he his her with a giant bar of some kind that glowed red when it hit her. The next thing I know she's lying unconscious on the ground and around twenty other men are dragging her away. There was nothing I could do."

Aurora, Maleficent and Philip stand their slack jawed.

"What?!" Diaval shout. "This is some kind of sick joke isn't it?!"

"I am afraid not your majesty. I witnessed it with my own eyes."

"How could this happen? Who would do such a thing?" Aurora asks, teary eyed.

"Supporters. It has to be." Philip mumbles, wrapping his arms around Aurora. Diaval's face contorts into a mix of anger, sadness and pain. Meanwhile, Maleficent's face is pure concentration and disgust.

"Aurora, Philip, go and see to the guests. Do not tell them of this."

"Yes godmother." Aurora leaves, fixing her eye make up and Philip trails behind.

"Edgar could you recognize them, the vandals I mean, if you saw them again?"

"I-I know not, Maleficent." Edgar stutters. "It all happened so fast."

"And there was nothing you could do?" Diaval mumbles sarcastically under his breath, the underlining hatred bubbling like a heated cauldron. "My mate was dragged away by Stephan supporters and there was nothing you could do?!" Diaval shouts and lunges at Edgar. Edgar dodges Diaval's blow and stumbles into a table while Diaval runs straight it the book shelf in front of him. Both the books and Diaval slide to the floor. He covers his face and breaks down.

Maleficent checks that Edgar is okay before walking over to Diaval. She couches silently and brings him into a hug.

"Diaval, this is not you. Never have you ever attacked a friend."

He looks up at Edgar with tears rolling down his cheek and guilt plaguing his eyes. "I am so sorry, forgive me my friend. It will never happen again, I give you my word." He says sobbing.