Part 6

By Aurora's fifteenth birthday Maleficent, Diaval and yourself had grown rather attached to her. Since you had lots of spare time on your hands you had taken to playing mentor to Maleficent, teaching her new spells and enchantments that she had never came across before. This became a daily thing that both you and Maleficent enjoyed and looked forward too.

You and Diaval were in the middle of your late after noon stroll, through the forest. They started not long after Aurora turned seven. You lean your head on his arm as you walk, you hand lightly holding his.

After just over fifteen years you and Diaval had grown extremely close, not in a romantic way; but you couldn't have denied fantasizing over it on the odd occasion. Diaval would often wondered what it would be like to run his fingers through your hair and calling you his, before quickly crushing the idea.

'She is a fairy and I am a raven, how could one so full of beauty and life, ever love a pitiful bird like myself? ' He would tell himself when he stared at you just a little too long.

"One does enjoy our walks." You hear him mumble, as the cool night air strokes your skin.

"As do I, Diaval."

"Did you hear that?"

"Hear what?"

"There that."

He spins around and looks through the wall of thorns Maleficent had you put up after the curse. You follow his gaze and feel your jaw drop at the sight of Aurora.  She pushes her way through and catches sight of you and Diaval.

"Curiosity killed the cat." You whisper to him through gritted teeth.

"Yeah, and the cat killed the raven, m'lady."

Aurora walks in your direction. You change Diaval into a raven, stupidly, in front of Aurora.

"Find her and lead her to us. I'll stay here."

"Awk!" He replies before flying away.

Aurora stops dead in her tracks, her jaw now dropping to the floor. For a while there is nothing but silence.

"W-what are you?" She stutters

"I am. . . nobody."

"Are you a fairy?"

"Of sorts."

"That was amazing. How did you do it?"

"Well, um. . . magic of course."

"Oh my! Magic! Can you show me something else?"

You smirk, waving your hand. You disappear and then reappear behind her, a smug look still on your face.

"Like what?" Aurora jumps, spinning round in shock.

"How did yo-"

"Magic."

"Awk! Awk! Awk!" Diaval flies above you, circling around the trees. Once he has landed he hops onto your shoulder.

You look around and see Maleficent's bright emerald eyes, shining through the shadows. You immediately stand a little bit straighter. Aurora spins around sensing the presence behind her.

"I know you're there. Don't be afraid." She says to the shadow, trying to gain its trust.

"I am not afraid." You hear Maleficent laugh.

"Then come out."

"Then you'll be afraid."

"No I won't." Maleficent slowly walks out the darkness allowing the light, bouncing off the snow, to hit her face. Aurora gulps and shuffles back slightly.