Chapter 23: The Dark Asylum

Days inside Arkham Asylum and Joker was practically enjoying his time inside.

He felt that he really belonged here but he would always long for release and escape, he felt as if, his madness was contained. And that scared him.

But he would just play along with the doctors, he knew he would break out somehow, and for once in his life, Joker was patient.

His fifth day in Arkham came and Joker already learned the inside structure of the asylum.

Whenever the nurses or guards would drag him around, he'll observe his surroundings, memorizing every stretch and hallway. Eventually he drew a map in his mind, but his straitjacket made it hard for him to draw one in real life.

At about 2pm, Dr. Harleen knocked on the door, she finally graduated as a psychiatrist, though she still needs to complete her residency in Arkham, to finally get that degree.

She aims to someday be a Neurologist, but for now, she returned home and wanted to help Gotham's needy. Even if that means interacting with probably the most evil and influential individuals in America.

Harleen came through the door, holding a cup of chocolate pudding for her patient "Get up. You have to eat at least, before going to therapy." Joker was confused, he had never heard of the term therapy, what could it be?

Joker crept up and close to the doctor, the orderlies then moved close as well, ready to pounce if the patient were to do anything.

But Harleen instructed them to wait and watch, the clown smiled and stared into Harleen's eyes, "You're scared... I can smell the fear. It's, amusing. HAHAHAHA!"

Harleen was confused, "did he mean that as a compliment or an insult?" either way, she snapped out of thought. She pushed Joker away and told him "Eat." The Joker slowly grabbed the cup away from Harleen, slurping it all in one go.

He swallows and smile "What is this?" Harleen smiled "Chocolate Pudding, my recipe." The Joker smiled back "Ah, delicious."

The orderlies then grabbed Joker's arms, dragging him across the hall once more. Joker looked around and commented about his environment, as if it was his first time seeing it.

He laughed at the other inmates "I'm gonna get on the fun train to electroshock world boys!" They all laughed at his stupidity, a guard replied to his laughter "Do you even know what you're about to experience?" Joker looked at the guard dragging him across with sarcasm "Well, I know it will shock me for sure!"

Dr. Quinzel replied to his bantering "You stayed quiet during therapy sessions, and even in interrogations. We've been soft on you far too long."

They finally arrived in the electroshock therapy room, they strapped him down on this dentist chair- like seat. He looks around with amusement "Is this heaven?"

Harleen put on her rubber gloves and face-mask, before she grabbed the defibrillators, she asked Joker one thing "Who are you, Mr. J?" Joker simply stared at Harleen, and laughed "I'm your redemption." Harleen wasn't satisfied with the answer, though she felt pity.

"I didn't wanna do this. I didn't agree, but now it seems like a sensible option." Joker giggled "Hit me with your best shot, doc!"

She looked away as the defibrillators charge up with power and made contact with Joker's temples. Within a split second, he screamed as his body twitches and moves around due to the electricity flowing in him.

For five whole seconds, he has never felt such agony hit his mind. Harleen pulled the cables away, Joker was silent and staring at everyone.

He then started to giggle, then chuckle, until finally he burst in laughter "That was fun!"