Chapter 14: The Faithful Night

It has been a few months since Jack's fresh start, he jumped from job to job, finding a good source of income to settle him for life, but he struggled.

He worked as a chemical engineer assistant at ACE chemicals, as a waiter in Julius' family restaurant, and as a ticket salesman for the Monarch Theater.

He was struggling with every day life, he rented a small apartment, it was the best he could get.

The roof was leaking, the toilet doesn't flush properly, and the faucets almost never work.

It was the only apartment he could get off the market, he couldn't contact his old friend Sionis, who is probably a billionaire by now. And he would rather die than run to his father, who is surprisingly off his tail.

Jack knew he needed help, but from who? No one can provide him the aid he seeks, his only true friend Rocko is dead and no one was in contact with him. So he continued with his struggles on his own.

He would wake up every morning, it was different uniform on weekends than on week days, brushes his teeth, wears a engineer's uniform on saturday and sunday, a ticket cashier on monday to wednesday and a waiter's uniform on thursday to friday.

He was hardworking and was paid a fair amount, but when you count all his income in total it could only be described as fair, not too low, not too high, but fair.

He knew this wasn't the life he planned for himself, he wanted something big. Something to inspire him, something to keep him going.

And that's when he met her, Jeannie, a young beautiful girl who constantly eats at Julius' family resto.

Jack was anti-social, he wouldn't speak to her unless of course taking her order and giving her meals.

But slowly he began to have feelings for her, he knew that her dates were always a screw up, whether late or leaving early. Jack pitied her and always said "it's on the house." even though he knew it would be cut from his salary. Jeannie would always try and stop Jack from making it his bill to pay, but Jack kept on insisting and from there she thought it was rude to refuse. She liked him.

Jack was her favorite waiter, always has a smile on, little did she know it was fake. One faithful night, Jack was working his shift in the restaurant when he heard the doorbell ring as it opened.

He looked to greet the new customer and it was Jeannie, he instantly put on a smile and grabbed a menu for two, he approached her and readied his stance.

"Good evening, maam. It's nice to see you again. Menu for two?" Jeannie smiled and refused "For one only please. No date tonight." Jack smiled harder "Of course, call me when you're ready to order."

Jeannie stopped Jack from leaving, "I'm ready to order." Jack then put out his notepad and pen "And what would it be for tonight?" "I want a roast duck leg, and a side of onion rings."

Jack wrote it down "Drinks?" Jeannie looked at her menu "Wine, any wine. Just wine and some water." "And for dessert? We have chocolate mousse, mango cheesecake, mint ice cream, a new bananaspli-"

Jeannie interrupted his offer "how about you?" Jack was shocked "Sorry? excuse me?" Jeannie giggled "What I mean is, how about you choose for me?" Jack thought for a bit.

"dammit she thinks you're stupid now."

"Personally maam I would like to try the new banana split." Jeannie smiled "Then i'll have the banana split." Jack smiled back, "Right away." and he went for the kitchen and gave the order slip to the chefs.

Jack waited for the order, minutes pass and it was only Jeannie customer in the restaurant.

Julius went to Jack and talked to him "Last customer bud, make it count. She's all yours." Jack replied "I'll do my best sir." Julius laughed "No, be her date I mean, I know you fancy her. When she comes at the door I see you smile like a kid in a candy store." Jack blushed denying it "I don't think it's allowed sir." "Fuck that, hey, you have my word. You need someone Jack, I know you do. And maybe it's her. Don't miss your shot, unless the next time you wanna see her is coming in here with another dude."