Chapter 15: The Ambitious Performer

Two months has passed and Jeannie decided to move in with Jack. Jack suggested it wasn't a smart move since he lived in a crummy old apartment, but Jeannie didn't care.

She grabbed at least four boxes of her clothes, books and hygienic needs. Jack was not so sure about it but he let her anyway, he loves her like that.

Jeannie loved the place, even with all it's flaws. Like how she loves Jack. Jack was working full time now, he doubles his shifts and stays later than usual. He wants to earn a lot more if he's thinking about starting a family. Jeannie was a librarian, she often has a book in her hand and a nose stuck to it.

Jack loved her bookworm side, he always saw it as cute and attractive.

Everyday he would go to work and before that Jeannie would prepare him breakfast, a lunch and a kiss goodbye. They became an inseparable couple. No one could deny the fact that they belong with each other.

One day Jack went to ACE Chemicals to work his shift. He despised working there, but he needed the money. He went to his booth and worked on the controls, his only job was to make sure each chemical vat was balanced and stable.

It may seem like a boring desk job but it was important, one unstable container and the whole factory might explodes like fireworks. Jack was pressured but didn't care much, until now.

He has a fiance and that changes his perspective on life, he became afraid of death. Jack was afraid of leaving Jeannie behind.

Lunch time rang and Jack went on and got his lunch box, when he opened it there was a note "eat well, big guy -xoxo" He smiled upon seeing this, but behind him was his boss.

"Well well, Ol' Jack finally has a girlfriend. And here I thought you were gonna die alone." Jack chuckled "I think you were only thinking of yourself, sir." The Boss was infuriated "What did you say?!"

"Nothing sir, I thought of dying alone too I said." His boss then walked away, locked eyes on Jack as he leaves.

One of Jack's workmates, Cedrik, approached him "How brave are you to insult the manager?" Jack looked at Cedrik "He's a dick and you know it C." Cedrik laughed "Yes he is, but he gets to decide whether you work here or not. Aren't you afraid of being fired?" "There's more things to be afraid of other than being fired."

They continued their lunch and after a few minutes the bell rang, signaling the resume of production. Jack continued on the look of production and things were moving smoothly.

Until he heard a scream, he looked at the monitor and saw an unstable substance mixing in with the chemicals in one of the vats. Jack turned on the contamination alarm and everyone was startled.

He grabbed his suit and gloves to rush to the vats, he went on one of the overlooking bridges and saw Cedrik in the vat. "Ah fuck, Cedrik! Hold on!" Jack was running to get a rope. "My skin! Ah my skin it burns Jack!"

Jack was panicking, he took a strong metal rope and threw it into the vat "C! Grab on!" Cedrik grabbed on the rope and Jack grabbed on the other end. He struggled and used his feet as an anchor to avoid falling into the vat with Cedrik.

Slowly, Jack was finally pulling his friend up from the chemicals. As they reach the catwalk Jack was exhausted, he turned Cedrik around and he was bleach white. "It's gonna be okay C, hold on."

Cedrick was crying out in pain "My eyes! My eyes im blind!" Jack looked into Cedrick's eyes and saw his eyes burst like cherry grenades. Jack was shocked, he was traumatized.

No one deserved to see that. It instantly killed Cedrik, leaving his skin white and his eyes popped out, blood all over the floor.

The other staff members arrived all the way from the other side of the factory. The boss put his hand on Jack's shoulder, "It's okay kid, you did what you can." Jack was cursed with another death.