Chapter 6: The Careless Mistake

A few weeks after Harleen's accident, she was already recovering and beginning to walk again. She needed to be better in order to gain that scholarship and support for her college academics financially.

Whenever she would go to her physical therapy session, Julius would be there for her, assisting and cheering her on.

Harleen still couldn't get over Julius even after the reveal of his sexuality, something about him was attractive in a way that no girl can let go of him. Julius was admired by many, he was smart, caring, sporty, and good-looking.

He looked like one of those dream boys of the 90's, neat brushed up brunette hair, blue glittering eyes, a fine jawline at the ends of his face, a ripped body full of muscle. It was a shame he liked boys who are the same type as he is, and sometimes Harleen would cry over it.

A few weeks passed and it was the last day of her therapy. Harleen was so happy, she couldn't wait to stop going back to the hospital and go through these "trials" her therapist would make her do.

She swore that she wasn't getting better but worse because she kept stretching her muscles and might even break a tissue.

But today she felt different, her knees didn't ache anymore and she no longer needs her crutches, she could walk. But only walk, she cannot run, sprint nor leap, or else the injury will just come right back. She knew there was a catch, she became teary-eyed, holding back the pain of the thought she might not get a scholarship.

Harleen stayed in the hospital for a few hours after her therapy, she was sitting in the waiting area of Gotham Medical, contemplating on what to do. Julius sat down beside her.

"You know, the more you sit, the harder it is to stand up." Harleen replied "I know Julius, and I can already stand on my own." Julius looked at her and laughed "No, I didn't mean physically, I meant it emotionally and mentally. You see the more you stick to a problem, or the more you overthink it, the less likely you are to get over it. You get it? Come on I thought you were the smartest of us."

Harleen hit Julius in the shoulder "Shut up, smart-ass. I'm fine. I mean you're here with me and it makes me feel. Better." Julius smiled "Yeah, whatever Harls. Come on, time to head back home."

Harleen looked at the clock, shocked to see it was already five pm. "oh shoot! come on!" Julius helped Harleen get up and walk towards Julius' car, they got inside and drove back home to The Quinzel's apartment.

Harleens father opened the door as he heard Julius' automobile roar as it parked. "Thanks again, Julius. Without you I'll think our daughter will ever recover." Julius was flattered by this comment and replied.

"It was nothing Sir, Harleen is my best friend, i'll do anything for her." disgusted by this love talk Harleen broke in the conversation "Um, hello? I'm home. I wanna eat, what's for dinner?" Harry and Harleen waved Julius goodbye as he ignited his engine and drove off.

Harleen got inside and saw a medicine pack by the door, she was wondering who or what's it for, she doesn't need any more medication.

She was thinking about it even at the dinner table, she huffed and asked "What's the med-kit bag for ?" Her parents looked at each other, signaling one another with gestures with their eye brows.

Harleen became suspicious, "Ehem?" her father then replied to her saying "Oh nothing honey, it's for you, if ever the pain comes back again. You know, safety measures." Harleen wasn't buying it, she knew she didn't need anything anymore other than rest.

She then faked and played around agreeing to it, "Okay, fine. Thanks for thinking about this... Safety measure." Her parents chuckled about it nervously, thinking they dodged a bullet.