Chapter 4-

Chapter 4-

"I like your new haircut, Reina," Mason complimented with a smile as soon as I sat down across from him in Literature class. Miss Bell was late again, and I was confused why the school just didn't let her go at this point. Last year, she had been more absence and tardiness than Calvin.

"No, you don't. You're just trying to cheer me up," I stated bluntly under my breath before realizing how harsh it sounded. Deciding to not make it awkward and saving myself, I gave him a small smile. "You don't need to lie."

Many schoolmates had been complimenting me about my new haircut ever since yesterday, but their façade smile told the truth. They all hated it and found it weird. I know that I shouldn't have cut my hair, but I hated it so much. Maybe I should have dyed it instead of just cutting it all off myself at home.

Knowing that my long, blonde hair had been touched and yanked by them over the summer made me feel sick to my stomach.

I hated looking at where my hair was touched by them. I hated how every time I saw my own hair; I remember then yanking it and laughing at how nice my hair felt in their grasp.

I hated it so much.

Therefore, I had cut my hair on the night following that tragedy.

I regret my decision to do so at times like these.

"No, I swear. I like your new look. You're quite cute," Mason said honestly before his face grew red from the confession.

I blinked in surprise by his words.

I don't know what to say to Mason.

What should I even say at a moment like this?

Thank you?

You really think so?

Then, something hits me.

Is Mason hitting on me? Or am I imagining it?

If we are, Joshua, not surprisingly, noticed. Since he was sitting just next to me, he stared at both of us and then snapped his finger in front of us, breaking the moment.

"Hey Mason, do me a favor and get me some loose-leaf from up front." Joshua requested, although it sounded more like a demand more than anything else. Something about his face was scary as he narrowed his eyes at Mason who frowned.

"You can't do it by yourself because...?" Mason trailed off, allowing Joshua to continue.

"You owed me remember? From last year, when I lend you a pen, and then you said you owed me? Do it." Joshua said, rougher now around the edge of his voice. Mason mumbled something as he got up and walked to the front of the room. When I sighed in relief of not being put in the spot anymore, Joshua chuckled. "You don't need to thank me."

I rolled my eyes in response. Joshua is overly protective of me, and now was no different. "I could have done it myself."

"Right," he nodded, unconvinced. "It seems someone has a crush on you, now that you're back on the market after Paul and you broke up over Summer."

It pained to even hear his name. I shifted in my seat nervously. "I'm not interested."

"Right." Calvin scoffed in his seat and I narrowed my eyes at him. Our small group of four in the classroom was in the corner of the room. I wondered if I could kick him as hard as I can, would anyone notice outside of the table?

"Mason does not like me in anyway. No way.... he's just trying to be nice," I mumbled, though I wasn't sure who I was trying to convince at this point. Everyone had hinted he had a thing for me since freshmen year, but dating was the last thing on my mind. I shook my head stubbornly. "He doesn't have a thing for me, much less a stupid crush."