Just like a crow teasing a butterfly [chapter28]

A/N: You have literally no idea how sick I've been lately, both physically and mentally. Please please please pardon my late update, I will try to get better but I can't guarantee anything. 

Seth

"And this is my father." I say, smiling as Nathan shakes hands with my dad. My dad is one of those macho people, and I'm aware of how scared Nathan is so I hurry up filling dad in on our plans. "We're going to town, Nathan needs new football shoes and I said I could help him since he doesn't know just what he should use on the grass we're playing on." Dad nods, then he looks at me. "Do you need new shoes?" I shake my head no. "I don't. I could use some new pencils, though." Dad stares at me, the stare I know so well. "You know what I think of that, Seth." I nod, trying to look unafraid. "I guess you can buy new pencils if you use your own money." I nod once again. "That's what I intended to do anyways. "Good. Have fun, then. And if you meet some girls, then you're allowed to have them over for dinner. We're having pizza." More like I'm having pizza, I think, but smile at him. "Thanks, dad." 

We take the bus to the city. "Is your dad always like that?" Nathan asks, and I smile sadly at him. "Most of the time. He couldn't really comprehend that my mum passed away and so he became like that. He's not always been like that, but now that she's gone he's all business. The number one priority is work." Nathan seems sad. And I smile at him. "The only thing he actually cares about is me getting a girlfriend; He's always been really afraid of me coming out as gay... Which I always told him not to worry about... But, well." I smile at him. "Sorry." He mumbles, and I roll my eyes before I kiss him. "Don't apologise for being the best thing that's ever happened to me, okay?" I whisper, and he blushes. "I love you." My heart flutters. "I love you too." We get off the bus, and walk into town. I grab Nathan's hand, leading him to the sport's shop. We find shoes for him, and then we get a smoothie. After we've finished the smoothie, Nathan and I head for the book store where they also sell pencils for sketching. We're walking closely so that our interwined hands won't attract stares; I live in a town with quite homophobic citizens.

"Seth, is that you?" I groan mentally, turning my head to the left where I spot my cousin, Rachel. "Yeah, hey Rachel!" I say, faking a grin. I slowly let go of Nathan's hand, missing the comfort it always gives me. We're still standing closer than we should, so I take a little step away from him, closer to Rachel as if I approach her. Nathan follows, but he keeps the distance probably understanding why I'm acting the way I am. "Who's this?" She asks, looking at Nathan. I smile. "This is my roommate in school, Nathan. Nathan, this is my cousin, Rachel." Nathan smiles at her. "Hey, nice to meet you." She smiles a little, for one instant looking smug. "Nice meeting you too. So what are you doing here?" She asks. "I'm getting pencils, and Nathan got new football shoes." She lifts her eyebrow. "Pencils? You know what uncle thinks about your drawing, Seth." I sigh. "I know, but he can't stop me; I won't let him." Rachel pets my cheek. "Good boy. Well, I have to go. Good bye!" She sings, walking away. I grab Nathan's hand again, smiling apologetic at him. "Sorry." "It's fine."

We end up bumping into two of my friends, Angelica and Paige. Taking my dad's word for it, I invite them to eat pizza with us. They gladly accept. It's a little sad that Nathan and I can't act like a couple but it's something I realise we'll just have to live with for now. We watch a movie, one of them with lots of action and blood. I know Nathan doesn't like them at all and that there's nothing he would like more than to cuddle up next to me and hold my hand for comfort. The longing look in his eyes is hurtful, but I can't give in to him and he knows that. Angelica is snuggled up next to me on the left side, while Paige is snuggled up between me and Nathan. Later when they leave, Paige blabbers about how cute Nathan is, and asks if she could have his number. Blushing, he tells her what it is and she saves it on her phone. Then Nathan's mum comes to pick him up. I really want to kiss him goodbye, but I can't. The last kiss I gave him was the one on the bus and it hurts. What hurts the most is seeing him go, though. My dad wrinkles his nose when they're gone. "I didn't like him, he seems too soft. Kind of faggy, don't you agree?" I sigh inwards, but I don't let my facade drop. "A little bit." I agree. "He doesn't like new people, but you should see him with his friends. There's no way holding him back from flirting then." I say, smiling a little at the thought. "Really?" Dad asks, and I nod confirmingly. "And he's a hell of a keeper too."