Just like a crow teasing a butterfly [chapter27]

Nathan

"Honey? Breakfast is ready!" I groan silently, shuffling out of bed. My mum sighs as she sees me, looking sleepy as hell. Three weeks of vacation has passed, and my heart aches from the missing of Seth. I eat slowly, and my mum looks at me. "Is something wrong, honey?" I shake my head. "Just feeling lonely." I mumble, honestly. "Is there any of your friends from school who are living fairly close?" I see my chance, and pretend to think. "Well, there is Seth." "Your roommate?" I nod, smiling. "I think I remember him saying something about living in the fringe of the city two cities away." "Well, do you have his number?" Mum asks, as she starts cleaning off the table. "Yeah... Should I call and ask if he wants to hang out?" Mum nods. "You can tell him that we can go get him if he wants to. He can even stay the night if his parents are okay with it." "His dad." I correct automatically. Mum looks at me, questioningly. "His mum died." I explain, and mum nods understandingly. "You should call him right away" she says, and I nod, skipping half of the steps up the stairs. 

I snatch my phone from under the pillow, dialling Seth's number that I've been learning the past three days. I know it by heart now. Seth answers after four rings. "Hello?" He asks, probably trying not to sound too exited. "Um, hi." I say, smiling a little to myself. "It's Nathan!" As if he doesn't know. "Oh, yeah, it's Seth." "I would know, I called you." "True." He says in the other end. I can sense him smiling. "Well, I'm really bored and stuff so my mum said I should call someone... And I think you said you live two cities away?" "That's correct." He answers. I almost blurt out laughing; what kind of phonecall is this between two boyfriends? But we have to keep up the act. "Well, she said that if you wanted to hang out, we could come get you or something... And if you want to, you can stay the night." "That sounds nice, wait, I'll ask my father."

Seth

I walk down to the basement, knocking the door to my father's office. "Cm'in" is his reply, and I enter the room. "Dad? A friend from school wonders if I want to hang out, is that okay?" My dad lifts his gaze from his computer and cocks an eyebrow. "Is it one of the fags?" He asks, and I shake my head. "His name is Nathan, he was my roommate. We play on the footballteam together, he's the keeper." I know that my dad thinks of football as the number one macho game in the world, so it definately has influence on his decision. "Where does this Nathan live?" "Two cities away... But he says his mum can pick me up if I want to. And I can even stay the night if you think it's a little bit far to travel in one day." My dad rubs his backhead; that's what he does when he's thinking. "Okay." He says. "You can stay the night. But I want to meet this Nathan some day, okay? So make sure he visits you during the vacation." "Yes, sir." I say, and back out.

"It's okay." I say to Nathan, grinning widely to myself. "Do you want my address?" "Would be nice." He replies in the other end. "Okay." I say, telling him my address, and even where it's more sensible to drive. Then I hurry to my room, packing my things. My heart is beating so fast it's almost hurting; I miss him so much! A couple of hours later, the doorbell rings. "I'll get it!" I shout, and open the door. Nathan is standing outside, smiling at me. "Hey." I say, smiling boyishly at him. He nods back at me. "Just gonna tell my dad I'm leaving." "Okay, I'll take your bag to the car." "Thanks." I say, heading for the basement. "I'm leaving now, dad. I'll see you tomorrow." He grunts and nods. "Have fun." I nod. "I will."

Nathan

The carride isn't too long, but it hurts; I haven't been near Seth yet, and he's sitting in the backseat while I'm sitting in the front. He's been chatting with me and my mum the whole time, and honestly; it's super hard not to show affection for him. My mum think he seems like a very cute and polite boy, and I smile.

When we're home, I take Seth to the second floor to put our things in my room. Mum comes with a mattress we can put on the floor, and a pillow and duvet. "What do you boys want for dinner?" She asks, and I shrug. "Taco's?" I ask, a little uncertain. I know Seth loves taco's, and he smiles. "Yeah, that sounds nice." "I will begin to make it in a minute. You boys should go outside, the weather is too nice to be inside all day." We nod, and I smile at Seth. "Want to go to the football field? It's right behind our house, actually." "Sounds cool." He says, and I grab a ball from under the stairs.