Just like a crow teasing a butterfly [chapter5]

Nathan

I quickly turn my head around when someone shouts my name. A football is flying right towards my face, holy crap! It's going to break my nose, and I just can't let that happen! Shooting my arm towards the ball, I knock it away with my bare palm. A sigh of relief escapes my mouth. That was a close call! A guy runs in my direction. He's wearing sports' shorts and just a plain t-shirt. His hair is light blonde and his eyes are green. I'm not really able to judge at this distance if he's tall or not, but he is taller than me. He's actually really good-looking, not really my type though. And besides, I don't really know if he's playing on my 'team' or not. He grabs the ball, and stands right in front of me. Yup, pretty tall. "Hey, are you okay?" He's frowning at me, and I nod in reply. "Man, you sure have some sharp reflexes there! One moment too late, and you'd get that ball in your face! How did you see exactly when it came? I mean, you looked terrified and the ball was going to hit you right in the face. I honestly didn't think you'd have time to react, but I can see I was wrong."

I blink at him, trying to cope with all he's saying. He seems nice though - at least he didn't say anything mean to me. I clear my troath a little. "I don't know... It didn't really go that fast." "Didn't go that fast? Are you joking? Hey, why don't you come play with us? You can try being the keeper. Come on!" I hesitate a little. I've never really liked football, but the keeper position seems okay enough. That's why I enjoy tennis; I'm pretty good at calculating where the ball will end up so that I can make the right move just in time. I end up shrugging. "Okay, I guess I can try." The guy smiles widely "If you're any good, would you consider joining the school team? Our keeper got transferred, and we've all circulated on being it, but we all pretty much suck." I shrug again, thinking. "I don't know... We'll see?" He nods. "But shouldn't you change yuor pants first?" I snort. Does he really think I'm girly and care for my clothes too much? Huh, I'll show him. "Why? Come on, who cares if my pants get dirty?" He grins. "That's just the right attitude!"

We walk to the football field, and the guy raises his voice. "Guys! Listen. This is Nathan, and he'll be trying out the keeper position." A ginger spits in my direction, and looks at the blonde guy. "You honestly can't mean that, Darren! That little faggot'll be so scared of the ball he runs away crying. And what about after matches? Can't have the little dicksucker hanging around to shower with us. No way, hoosay!" I stare at my shoes. Not that I didn't expect this kind of comments, but it hurts anyway. I'm about to back away when Darren speaks again. "Stop it, Kenny! This guy stopped a ball from hitting him in the face with his bare hand. He sat there untouched until the very moment the ball was about to hit his face. Then he lifted his hand, preventing it from doing so. He reacts really fast to flying objects; I've seen him play tennis. He's going to be an amazing keeper with some training, and sexuality doesn't matter. This is football, and I'm the captain so I decide. Not you." Darren grins at me. Wow... He actually backed me up! So I've found four people I might become good friends with in less than two days? Not bad. Maybe I should have been a little more social after all?

"Do you want to borrow some keepers' gloves?" Darren asks, and I nod. "That'd be nice." I smile, really grateful how he supported me. He hands me some gloves, and I put them on. They are a little bit too big, but it's okay. I won't prevent me from stopping the ball. Looking at the goal, I swallow my salivary. It's a little bit wider than I'd prefer but I'll give it a try. I stand in the middle, a little in front of the two bars. Darren places the ball on the ground, and turns to the ginger, Kenny. "Why don't you shoot, Kenny?" He grins "yeah, why not? Relax, faggot, I'm not going to kick it that hard. No need to cry, okay?" I growl at him, and he laughs mockingly.

Then he backs eight feet, running towards the ball he kicks it with all he's got. Not that hard, huh? The ball is flying through the air, and I figure it's going to end up in the upper right corner. Waiting for the right moment, I spring, and up I go! I throw my hands out, smacking the ball away. It lands in the grass, and rolls about six feet.. I run to pick it up, glaring at Kenny. "You did kick it pretty hard, you liar." Darren laughs, and pets my back. "Good job, Nathan. I really want you to be the keeper of our team, okay? We practice mostly Monday and Wednesday, and sometimes we have extra practices too but I'll tell you about them." I nod.