Chapter Twenty Four

Brandon

Two and a half minutes. One hundred and fifty seconds. An eternity. Her heart stopped for one hundred and fifty seconds, and mine almost stopped forever, because she has my heart, she carried it in her heart. If she was gone, I knew I would be too.

"Clear!" Curtis said one last time and jolted her tiny limp body.

Her eyes shot open and she gasped for breath.

"Alex?" I asked not believing what I was seeing.

Her eyes struggles to focus. I held her hand in mine and smiled at her through my tears.

"Have I died, and you're my angel?" She said mustering a smile through her obvious pain.

I chuckled remembering the first thing I said to her. My smile didn't last for long as her smile faded, and she lost consciousness once again.

"You need to let us take her Brandon." Sam said checking on her vitals,

Reluctantly I got up and watched helplessly as they loaded her onto a stretcher and took her towards the ambulance. As I walked outside I had to pass John throwing Corey into the backseat of the cop car, and he wasn't being too gentle about it either, and I was perfectly okay with that.

Michael was by my side, and was following me towards the ambulance. I turned and said, "Go get Tim and meet us there."

"You bet." he said giving me a hug. "Good thoughts brother, she's okay."

"Thanks Mike for..." I paused and he just nodded. He knew.

I climbed into the back of the ambulance. I couldn't get too close because Curtis was working feverishly trying to compress all her wounds, and it sickened me to see how many there was. She was a shattered reflection of herself. I honestly thought I was going to puke, especially when along with the cuts from shattered glass her tiny body was riddled with bruises. What had he done to her?

Then I heard Sam on the radio.

"We are bringing in an unconscious female, twenty years old, multiple lacerations on her back leg and arms from a glass table, head contusion, pulse is weak and thready, she flat lined once, but we were able to revive her in time, possible sexual assault. ETA three minutes."

Curtis looked up at me for a moment, the expression on his face was obvious, he was disconcerted. I knew he wanted to say something, but there were no words. Nothing could change what happened. We could only move forward, and try and help her.

We arrived at the hospital quickly, and she was quickly unloaded and rushed away to surgery. Apparently there was glass still embedding in her skin, and they were worried that if she lost any more blood she wouldn't make it. I knew different though; I knew she was going to be okay. She had to be.

I was pacing outside surgery when Tim and Michael arrived and Lana shortly after them.

"What's going on?" Tim asked me desperation clear in his voice.

"She flat lined at the house, the paramedics were able to bring her back. She woke up for a few seconds and passed out again. She's lost a lot of blood, and she went through a glass table, so they are removing the pieces right now." I took a breath, and let it out slowly.

Lana rushed towards me and threw her arms around me. I hugged her back tightly. She started to cry, and I held her.

"She's going to be okay Lans." I said softly. "And this isn't your fault." she cried even harder obviously not believing me. I knew when Alex woke up she would tell her the same thing.