Chapter Ninteen

Alex

I woke up and tried to prop myself up, but it was difficult because I was still handcuffed to the bed. My wrists ached from sleeping with them pushing into the hard metal. I wouldn't doubt if they would scar. That is if I ever got out of this alive, which didn't seem likely. I looked over at Cory's sleeping body next to me, his arm draped over my waist. I felt sick to my stomach having any part of him touching me, but I didn't want him to wake up. If he woke up I can only imagine what he would do to me this time. Tears started rolling down my cheek. I wiggled my body slowly and eventfully he rolled over, and I could breathe a small sigh of relief.

I looked down and saw bruises forming on my legs and arms and I felt so sore. I tried to get my crying under control, but I felt hopeless. How could I have been so careless? I had been so careful protecting myself until the day of the accident. Brandon completely got my guard down and I let him in. I should have known better. He wasn't there to rescue me. I was a fool to think that love alone was enough to protect me. Nothing could. I did this to myself. I deserved this. As soon as I came to this realization nothing could stop the heart wrenching sobs escaping from my lips.

Cory had always been a heavy sleeper, but still I was shocked I didn't wake him up. He did however have a lot to drink last night. After a few minutes I calmed down a little and tried to think. I tried to get into the mindset of my old self. The girl that was ready for every scenario. The girl that didn't believe in love because in the end it would always let you down. I was stupid enough to trust someone before, I wouldn't make that mistake again.

For years I kept to myself, and worked out how to escape from every scenario. I taught myself self defence from endless you tube videos. I kept in shape, knowing I would never be strong enough to overpower him, but at least I could hold my own until another escape presented itself. I thought that if ever was in this situation I would know what to do. That I could formulate some kind of plan to get myself out of anything. I couldn't seem to think straight, I couldn't come up with anything. It was like I had given up. I didn't care if I lived or died because I felt dead inside. I let my guard down and now I was paying the price. I had given Brandon my heart, but this cost was too great.

I moved again and felt a shooting pain in my shoulder. It was weak at the best of times and hanging from these handcuffs wasn't helping. I tried to roll it to ease some tension but that was mistake, because then I realized it was dislocated. It was then I finally admitted I was beat. He had won. I wasn't going to get out of this one.

While I was wallowing in my self worthlessness, Cory began to stir. My fear and anxiety sky rocketed. I tried to take deep breaths so calm down. If anything I knew if I showed him how close I was to losing it, I wouldn't stand a chance. I wasn't sure I did anyway. I tried to think of Brandon. I told Cory he would be looking for me, but I wasn't sure. I mean I wasn't the easiest person to be around let alone date. Maybe this was the way out he needed. That made my heart sink even more, and my resolve fade completely. I sank down head lowered and cried. The pain was overwhelming, and so was my broken heart.

He finally woke up, completely ignoring me as he got up and went to the bathroom. He came out showered and dressed, and when I didn't look up he cleared his throat. I was tempted to keep looking down, but was afraid of the consequences. I looked up and he was smirking at me. I wanted to puke.

"Good Morning sweetie." he said, and I cringed at his term of endearment. He lifted my chin and brushed his finger over a cut on my lip that had made my lip swell. I flinched.

I didn't say anything, so his hand gripped my chin roughly, "You will answer when I speak to you." he demanded.

"Good morning." I choked out softly.

His grip loosened. "That's better."

He kissed my cheek and I tried not to pull away as that would only anger him.
He got up and walked to the kitchen and looked around the cupboards and in the fridge.

"Hmmm" he said thoughtfully. "I was so excited to finally have you here I didn't think to stock the place with any food." He smiled.

"Oh that's okay." I whispered. Like I could eat anything I thought to myself.

"Nonsense." he insisted. "I'll go grab you something to eat." He walked back over to me, and kissed my lips.

I wanted to scream, and fight, and tell him I would rather die than spend one more second here with him, but I said nothing. I did nothing. I was dead already.

"We are going to have to do something about this though." He said grabbing my handcuffs which caused me even more pain in my shoulder. He noticed me wince and felt my shoulder.

"I wondered if it still caused you grief." he grinned maliciously. "You never should have left me in the first place." he scolded.

He pulled a set of keys from his pocket and unlocked the set of cuffs attached to the bed. He unlocked my hands but left my one wrist with one half of the handcuff still attached. He reached under the bed and pulled out a lengthy chain and attached the other end of my handcuff to the end of the chain. I was puzzled as to the purpose of the chain. Before I could think about it further he put one hand behind my back and used the other to shove my shoulder back into place.

I screamed out in pain and he laughed, and then turned serious.

"Keep this in mind when you think about trying to leave." He pointed to the chain. "This is long enough to reach the bathroom, and that's it. You can get a drink of water from there if you want. Don't try anything funny. Your phone is gone and there is no house phone. The walls are sound proof so no one can hear you. I have both doors locked: and I have the only set of keys." He said quite proud of himself. "You are mine Alex. You always will be."

He looked so determined, so serious. I knew he would never let me go. He wouldn't give up until one of us was dead. Right now I was wishing it was me.

He kissed me on the forehead and left I heard him methodically locking the door with several deadbolts. I glanced to the other door and noticed even more deadbolts. There was no escape, so I did the only thing I could. I put my head in my hands and cried.