Chapter Nine

Brandon

I lay awake with my angel in my arms, and I'm angry. Angry that that mother fucker hurt her, and made her believe that it was her fault. That somehow she agreed to it. She was a kid. I held her tighter and didn't want to let her go. She trusted me with her story, and I was never going to let anyone hurt her ever again. I kissed her forehead and then I heard a knock at her door. I stilled hoping it didn't wake her up. She didn't even move. I slowly lifted her out of my arms and smiled when she pouted in her sleep. She rolled over and once I was sure she was still asleep I got up.

I had taken my shirt off but left the pants on. I didn't want to scare her. I got to the door and cautiously looked through the peep hole since she had said hardly anyone knows where she lives. I thought back to yesterday, and how my terrified girl did the same thing yesterday when I showed up. I shuddered thinking of her towel clad body being thrown at me when she answered the door. I shook my head and tried to get a grip. I looked through and was relieved and slightly annoyed when I saw who it was. Her cop friend. I opened the door and his smiling face was soon scowling when he saw it was me and he seemed even more angry when he noticed I was shirtless. The old me wanted to piss him off, and brag, but I didn't want to ever upset her especially when I think this guy was her only friend. I didn't want to mess that up.

"What are you doing here?" He scanned the apartment as best he could from the hall "Where's Alex?"

"Relax man. She's sleeping. And before you want to punch me yes I stayed here last night but all we did was sleep." I gritted my teeth it was none of his business. Deep breath... Think of Alex.

"What's wrong? I texted her last night and she didn't answer so I was worried."

"Come in." I motioned. He genuinely cared for her. Alex had that way about her. She made people want to protect her and she didn't even know it.

"I don't want to say much. It's not my story to tell."

"She told you what happened to her." he said softly more to himself. He appeared hurt for a second, but quickly tried to hide it.

"Yes she did. And although I am not going to tell you. I hope she does. And it kills me not to tell you because I could use your help." Thinking of that asshole made my blood boil.

He looked confused, but thankfully didn't press the issue. "Is she okay?"

Before I could answer the most beautiful ruffled head of hair peeked around the corner. She rubbed her eyes and said "I am more than okay."

I smiled at her and she came over and let me put my arm around her.

"Hey Johnny. What's wrong?"

He blushed and looked down "You didn't answer, and I was worried about you."

She went and gave him a hug. He seemed awkward at first, but then hugged her back earnestly.

"I'm sorry I worried you. Brandon tracked me down." she playfully scolded "So I decided to tell him my life story" she tried to joke, but it just didn't work.

"Do you want to tell me?" He asked.

She whipped her head towards me and flashed an angry look which looked so damn sexy. "What did you say?"

"Relax Alex. He never told me anything, I just don't want him knowing more than me" he gave an exaggerated pout and that caused us to all laugh.

"It's a long story and frankly unpleasant. You sure you want I hear it?" I could see she didn't want to tell it again, but a big part of me wanted him to know. He was a police officer and she needed to feel safe.

He looked at me and I hoped he sensed the urgency of him hearing this story. "Only if you want to tell me. It might make you feel better."

"Ya you're right. It did. It's exhausting keeping it in and constantly watching my back. It's kind of nice to have two strong handsome men watching it for me." She winked. Did she know how irresistible she is?

"Do you want me to go?" I asked her.

"No please stay. Unless you have to go." she trailed off.

"No I already texted my assistant to tell her I wasn't coming in today" I smiled.

"Okay let's sit in the living room." She lead the way.

Alex and I sat on the couch and she immediately grabbed my hand which made me way happier then I expected. I had slept with so many women, but none made me feel as good as holding my angels hand. That fact terrified me, but also made me elated. John, I refused to call him Johnny for many obvious reasons, sat on the rocking chair across from us.

I sat and patiently listened to her re-tell the story. I didn't think it was possible, but it made me even more angry hearing it a second time. She didn't go into much detail, but talked more about how careful she had to be with texting and a paper trail. She was terrified he would find her. He had gotten her cell phone number somehow and texted her two years ago. She didn't tell me this yesterday. She said he never actually said it was him, but she knew it was. She changed her number and until John and I, Tim was the only one that had it.

John was angry "Why didn't you report him Alex?"

"I was too afraid of the consequences. What if he found me before the police did?" The tears were streaming down her face, so I pulled her into a half hug.

"I guess you're right. And you haven't heard from him in two years?"

"That's right"

"Well let me know if you do."He insisted.

"Of course. You think he's still out there?" She asked fear clearly visible all over her face.

John forced a smile "Can't know for sure, but it's a good sign it's been that long." She seemed relieved. He hugged her and whispered something in her ear I couldn't quite hear, but it made her smile.

Holding her at arms length he smiled and said "Thanks for sharing Alex. You are so brave." she rolled her eyes but didn't say anything "I'll leave you two alone." I heard the disappointment in his voice and I tried to squash my jealousy. I knew he cared for her. "Talk to you soon."

They hugged again and he left. As soon as he was out the door I pulled her in my arms and never wanted to let go. I felt like she belonged there, and I wondered if she felt the same or if I was in way over my head.

"Do you want to go out for something to eat?" I asked her burying my head into her beautiful blonde hair.

"Order in." she murmured.

"Hmmm I like the way you think." I twirled her hair around my fingers and I felt her shiver.

I don't know how I'm going to restrain myself from stripping her down and taking her to bed and making her know that not all sex was painful and dirty. She was no where near ready. I had never been in this situation before. I never had to work this hard, and I had never wanted to. I dated so many women, but something was always missing.

She stood on her tippy toes and kissed my lips. She was driving me crazy and she didn't even know it.

"What do you want to have?"

I thought a moment and had an idea. "Want to go to my place and I will make us some lunch?"

She giggled "I don't really have anything here, do I?"

"Umm honestly? Do you ever eat?"

"Of course!" She said patting her non existent belly "look at it!"

I squinted "I see my very beautiful girlfriend who is way too skinny."

She blushed "I very much like the sound of my girlfriend." she smiled goofily at me and I had to laugh.

"Oh I do too." I admitted I more than liked it. This girl was changing my whole world.

"Okay let's go."

She grabbed her keys off the table and we headed out the door. She locked up and we walked to my car. Well since my baby was totaled in the accident and I couldn't drive my Mustang because it was a standard and my lame wrist couldn't switch gears I borrowed my brothers vehicle. A 2012 Cadillac Escalade.

"Wow. A Porsche and an Escalade?" She scoffed.

"Well actually this is my brothers. My Porsche is gone and my other vehicle is a Mustang, but I can't drive a stick with this." I said gesturing to my cast.

"Your brother hey? The one from the hospital?"

"Ya, Michael." I said thinking of when he saw Alex in the hospital. I shook my head.

"Okay." She looked puzzled. "What's that look for? You don't like your brother?"

"Oh no." I said shaking my head. "He's probably my best friend. I was just thinking of that day in the hospital. I yelled at him for calling you hot."

"What? Why?" She spouted out through laughter.

"I didn't want him to pursue you in any way, shape, or form."

She still looked confused, so I added more "I know you think I have a reputation as a player, but it pales in comparison to my brother." I didn't want her to think poorly of him, but there was no point in sugar coating it.

"Maybe he just hasn't met the right girl." She pondered thoughtfully and I wondered if she always tried to find the good in everyone.

"Like me." I couldn't help adding that. It was true though. Simply meeting this girl had changed everything.

She turned bright red and hung her mouth open like she wanted to say something, but couldn't. I grinned at her and opened her door for her.

"Ready?"

She simply nodded and got in. As I started to drive to my place, I found myself wishing I could hold her hand, but couldn't because of my stupid cast. I was shocked that this woman had softened me up in such a short period of time. I was feelings things I thought I never would. I couldn't have fallen in love already, could I?