Chapter Fourteen

Alex

So as Brandon said, someone was with me at all times. I was thankful that Tim was enough while I was at work because I needed my space while I worked. Tim was stressed out, but trying to hide it from me. He hovered over me, and if I was in the back for an extended period of time he would worry and check on me. Any normal person would be seriously annoyed, but as I have said before I wasn't normal.

Truth was I was terrified to be alone. I know I had decided to not go down without a fight, and that's still true, but deep down I knew that I wouldn't win. If Corey ever got me alone, I wouldn't survive. Even if somehow he didn't kill me, I would be dead inside. What scared me even more is that now I cared whether I lived or died. I couldn't imagine my life without Brandon. Even the thought of him made me smile.

"Just about done?" Tim smiled at me.

"Yep" I returned the smile. "Just finishing cataloguing this pile, and then we'll be out of here."

"You sure you don't want to come over tonight?" I knew he didn't like leaving me out of his site. He had been my protector for five years, and I think he found it hard to trust anyone else with the job. I had been a burden to him long enough. Sometimes I think I aged him twenty years since he has met me.

"I'll be okay. Promise."

"Still haven't heard anything from Officer Hall?" I shook my head. Truth was I was upset with Johnny for keeping it from me that they had found out Corey was responsible for Brandon's accident. He could bull shit all he wanted about police privacy or whatever the lingo was, I didn't buy it. He didn't trust me enough to tell me about it. I must have been scowling because Tim tapped my shoulder.

"You know you can't avoid him forever. Since he's pretty much your only friend, I would suggest talking to him about it." he chuckled.

"I'll have you know I have at least two other friends thank you." but I had to laugh with him. I know I was being stubborn. I avoided his texts and phone calls, I'm actually quite surprised he hadn't just shown up. Just then we heard the bell indicating someone had come into the store. I raised my eyebrows, did I speak to soon?

We walked out and discovered it wasn't Johnny, but Brandon. I felt a twinge of disappointment, but it was quickly replaced by excitement. I ran over and gave him a hug and a kiss on the lips.

"Everything okay?" he asked concerned.

"You're girlfriend is being stubborn and won't talk to her only friend besides you." Tim teased.

Brandon laughed "Ya she is fairly stubborn, I'll have to agree, but she can't avoid him forever, especially since I have invited over for pizza tonight."

I was genuinely surprised. For one I know Brandon didn't particularly care for Johnny, and two he believed Johnny had feelings for me. "Can I change my mind about staying at your place?" I said to Tim.

"Nope, sorry sweetie, that offer expired."

"Darn" I grumbled.

"Leave those books, I'll finish up and you go on ahead. It will only take a few minutes." I began to protest, but he cut me off "Go!" he playfully ordered.

"Yes sir" I saluted.

"Take care of her." Tim turned serious and motioned to Brandon.

"I will." he promised.

We walked out to the car and I finally noticed Brandon was without his cast! "Look at you!" I exclaimed "Guess we can't park in the handicapped spot anymore!"

"Ha ha ha" he said rolling his eyes, but smiling.

"How does it feel?" I asked brushing his wrist with my fingertips I smiled when it caused him to shiver.