Chapter 17: Failsafe Part 3

"Almost..." Robin muttered, "Got it!" The doors opened revealing an alien that none of you were prepared for. It charged its weapon, aiming straight for Robin.

"Dick!" You screamed and shoved him out of the way. The last thing you saw was the shocked faces of your brother and the boy you pledged your heart to before everything went dark.

~~

"No... No, no no!!!" Kid Flash yelled, falling to his knees. Robin rushed forwards, towards the alien. He dodged the metal tentacles and blew its head off with a bird-a-rang. He panted and looked over to Kid Flash in shock.

"How did she..." Robin started, but Kid Flash's face turned murderous.

"Look at what you've done, Dick!" He yelled, rounding on Robin, "My sister, the girl you've called the love of your life, just sacrificed herself for you! She's gone! Forever!" Tears flooded Robin's eyes, and he sank to the ground.

"(Y/N)... No..." He whispered.

~~

You woke up on the cold platform with a gasp. A headache split your head, making you grab your head and groan.

"You're all alive!" You heard M'gann say.

"What happened in there?" Batman asked.

"The exercise..." Martian Manhunter replied, "It all went wrong,"

"Exercise?" Robin asked. Tears ran down his face in a constant stream. He made no move to stop them.

"Try to remember," Batman said, "What you experienced was a training exercise. Manhunter psychically linked the seven of you within an artificial reality. You all knew this going in. What you didn't know was that it was a train for failure exercise. No matter what the team accomplished, the scenario was designed to grow worse. Still, you were aware nothing was real. Including the deaths of the entire justice league."

"That is why you hardly grieved, even when Wolf was disintegrated before your very eyes," Manhunter said. "But all that changed when Artemis died. Though consciously Miss Martian knew it was not real, her subconscious mind could not make that distinction. She forgot it was only an exercise. And her subconscious took control, making all of you forget too."

"I- I, I'm so sorry," M'gann stuttered. You got up to put a hand on her shoulder.

"It's okay," You said, "It's not your fault."

"It's not her fault!" Conner repeated, "Why didn't you stop the exercise?!"

"We tried," Manhunter said, "But M'gann had a death-grip on the scenario. Even Artemis, who should have awakened, was so convinced she had passed, she slipped into a coma. I realized I would have to wrest control from Miss Martian's conscious from within.

"But upon entering the reality, I was too overwhelmed by your collective emotion. There was too much noise to think clearly, to remember why I was there. The deaths of Aqualad and Superboy helped. But only when Icarus died and the mothership exploded, and Robin and Kid Flash were silenced, did my mind clear enough to remember my true purpose. To shock M'gann out of the exercise, before your comas became permanent.

"My apologies. I had no idea a training exercise could be so dangerous. So damaging..."

Captain Marvel pulled M'gann into a hug. M'gann started to sob, and you sat back down on the platform.

You put your head in your hands. Wally walked up to Robin and said a few things. Robin wiped his eyes and nodded. Wally said something else and Robin nodded again, chuckling weakly. Robin sighed and shook himself before walking over to you.

He tapped your shoulder, making you look up. He gestured for you to follow him as he walked into a hallway.

"What's up, Robin?" You said, trying to sound okay.

"Why didn't you tell me, (Y/N)?" Robin said, taking off his sunglasses to look you in the eyes. You sighed and took off your own glasses.

"I didn't want you to freak out, Dick." You look down. "I'm sorry. You've been so open to me about everything, and I've been hiding... This!" You let fire run over your fingers. You watched it for a few seconds before dousing the flames.

"I'm sorry..." You whispered.

"(Y/N)..." Dick said, hugging you suddenly. "I know." He chuckled.

"I've had time to get over a ton of complicated feelings." He said, "Anger, frustration, and... forgiveness."

"You knew?" You said into his sweater.

"I've known since that mind training exercise we did before the injustice attack." He said. "No one else has a mind like yours."

"That long?" You asked, "Why didn't you say anything?"

"I... wasn't certain." Dick said, "I wanted to make sure I wasn't just making things up."

He stayed silent for a moment.

"And then you shouted my name, and your brother went insane, and..." He sighed.

"I'm sorry, Dick." You said.

"I can't help falling in love with you, (Y/N)," Dick smirked. You looked up at him and scowled playfully.

"It doesn't work if you just say it!" You said, "You have to sing it!"

"But what if I don't want to?" He started swaying back and forth with you in his arms.

"Your name is very fitting right now, Dick." You said. Dick fake gasped.

"(Y/N), that is offensive!" He said. You rolled your eyes.

"We should probably get back to the team," You said, untangling yourself from his arms, "They're probably wondering where we are." You put your glasses back on, and Dick sighed, doing the same.

You started to walk away, but Dick grabbed your arm and spun you around before kissing you fiercely. He pulled away and smirked, walking away.

"I- Wha- That's not fair!" You said, chasing him as he started to run back into the room where everyone was, "You get back here, you good-for-nothing tease!"

"Icarus, are you alright?" Batman said. You scowled.

"Your sidekick is being infuriating!" You said.

~~~~~

End Chapter 17