Chapter 4: Summer Time and Carnivals

About a week after the Clayface mission, you were laying on your bed, when a text from Dick came through.

Bird boi: Hey, (Y/N)

Bird boi: Wyd?

Coffee-holic: Not much

Coffee-holic: Being bored

Bird boi: Oh

Bird boi: Do you uhhhhhhhh

Bird boi: Do you want to do anything?

Coffee-holic: Sure

Coffee-holic: Like what?

Bird boi: idk

Bird boi: Metropolis has an end-of-summer carnival. You wanna go?

Coffee-holic: Uuhhhhh

Coffee-holic: lemme see

You put your phone down and ran downstairs to ask your parents.

~~

Meanwhile, in Wayne Manor, Dick Grayson sat spinning nervously in a desk chair, rubbing the back of his neck. "Oh, what am I doing?" He muttered to himself, "I've known her for years, she'll never—"

"Master Richard?" Dick stopped spinning and looked over at his butler, Alfred Pennyworth.

"Yeah?" Dick said. Against his best efforts, his hands started to fidget. Alfred noticed.

"Are you alright?" He asked. Dick swallowed.

"Yeah? Yeah, I'm fine." Alfred raised an eyebrow.

"Is it a girl?" He asked. Dick fell out of his chair.

"What?" Dick tried to get back in his chair, "Why would you—" He swallowed, "Why would you think it's a girl?"

"Ah, so it is." Alfred said knowingly, "And do you have a date with her?" Dick sat up really fast before sighing and slouching again.

"Yeah..." He glanced at his phone, "Or at least I hope so." A text popped up on his phone.

Coffee-holic: Yeah, I'm free all day! Meet me at the Metropolis zeta in 30?

Dick grinned and replied, spinning around in his chair. "She said yes!" He suddenly stopped spinning and his face went white. "I have no idea what to wear." Alfred smiled.

"I think I can help with that." He said.

~~

30 minutes later, you sat in a park in Metropolis city, waiting for Dick. When he finally emerged from the alleyway, you stood up.

"Hey, D!" You called, waving, "Over here!" He jogged over to you.

"So!" He said, "The festival's near the beach, you ready to go?" You nodded, and he grinned and started walking.

"So, Dick." You said, "A bit of self-endorsement, eh?" You were referring to the Robin symbol on his orange letterman jacket. His face turned red.

"Uh... I mean— I just—" He stuttered and you laughed.

"I'm just joking. Plus, I think it's cute." As his face turned even redder, you realized what you had said. You face heated up to match his. "UM! I THINK I SEE THE FESTIVAL!" You said, distracting him. You ran over to the front gates and gazed in awe.